Have you ever been approached by someone at a gym trying to sell you something?

Options
I did and reported it. I can't believe no one else bothered.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Something like....?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Some of that is expected and even may be sanctioned by the gym. If they are trying to sell something illegal like PED's, the gyms crack down but supplements, protein shakes, diet plans, etc. are often allowed.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Never. What were they trying to sell you ketones or steroids?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Advocare most likely, those guys are almost as bad as door to door missionaries or crossfitters.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Yes. Several years ago, at my old gym (one of those 24/7 access, but NOT 24/7 staffed places). This lady was selling some sort of vitamin or something? I don't think it was Advocare, but she approached me all, "you're in such great shape, you must really take good care of your body... have you heard of so-and-so supplement?" And then she handed me some brochure and started to go into a schpeal abut the benefits and detox and whatnot.

Nobody to report her to. I said no thanks and put my headphones back in and moved on. I never saw her again.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Not at a gym. However, when I was like 20, I was 360+ lbs and in line for the checkout at Superstore. A doctor approached me with his card for WLS + told me he could do the plastics for the "unsightly" skin that would follow.

I was so floored. I wish I reported him though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Never at the gym, but I have friends that know I workout and want me to try their supplements, like advocare & some other brand.

I was at a car wash one time and a guy wanted to sell me a set of speakers he had in the back of his van.
  • FireTurtle75
    FireTurtle75 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    I've deleted friends from FB for trying to sell me Advocare, Thrive & Essential oils.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I've deleted friends from FB for trying to sell me Advocare, Thrive & Essential oils.

I just mock them brutally and mercilessly until they stop.

There's some really disturbing info out there about the "super religious" Essential Oils company founders. Fairly embarrassing too.

For the Supplement stuff I just grill them on exactly what makes their product worth more than GNC and Crystal lite(Which BTW is all the Advocare drink mixes are)
  • 8Goldenhair8
    8Goldenhair8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Not in the gym but in the parking lot. A diamond bracelet.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just training sessions with a personal trainer, and protein drinks once. But the drinks were set up at a table and I hot a free blender cup, so it was cool
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    King_Spicy wrote: »
    I wish I could find a gym where they sell me stuff. If I could get both girl scout cookies and some roids, I would be a happy camper

ikr :D
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    AMV91 wrote: »
    Not at a gym. However, when I was like 20, I was 360+ lbs and in line for the checkout at Superstore. A doctor approached me with his card for WLS + told me he could do the plastics for the "unsightly" skin that would follow.

I was so floored. I wish I reported him though.

Wow. I was looking for a button to express my jaw dropping horror, but I couldn't find one. What a kitten.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I work in a gym and one of the members gave me a baggie of Perfectly Posh samples as a "thank you" for putting on music she likes. Too little to even remotely get an idea of how I might like the products, but they make my bag smell nice as they sit there unused.

41dqow61jcot.jpg

They're on a 4"x5 1/2" card.

Bummer, because it's stuff I'd actually buy if I had a few bucks.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    Cocaine in the parking lot. It was the 80's, though.