Kale suggstions

Options
2»

Replies

• DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I've been making a kale & cheddar cheese & apple salad. You can Google the recipe. You cut the kale in small, thin ribbons. Add the olive oil/lemon dressing and let it marinate for 15-30 minutes. It kind of softens up a little, and the salad keeps well for a day.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    1q35ii.jpg

i came here to post that. lol
  • 0911shunamite
    0911shunamite Posts: 150 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Kale haters make ne giggle with your memes! It's not an easy leaf to enjoy!
    We like to make kale chips or braise it with some pan fried sweet potatoe chunks with an over easy egg and bacon the IMPORTANT thing for this dish is the seasoning WHITE PEPPER and a bit of salt. It's fantastic my 5/3 year old kids like it even.
    Also good in a Italian sausage soup or chicken soup - I light to braise it before adding to the soup though especially with garlic it takes away the bitterness and adds more flavor.
    I've also juiced it which isn't terrible my biggest complaint was that I hard got any juice out of it. Good luck!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    1q35ii.jpg

i came here to post that. lol

Many of us did.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    RavenLibra wrote: »
    Recently discovered that you can dehydrate all sorts of leafy greens, kale, spinach, dandelion greens... a friend is growing pumpkin... and yes... pumpkin leaves... dry them out toss them into a blender or food processor... grind them up and boom... healthy nutritious green powder that you can add to any recipe... y'all are welcome

This is really cool, do you know if you can do this without a dehydrator?

I imagine if you put the leaves in a low temp oven...say 120 degrees for 4-6 hours... the nice thing about a dehydrator is the shelf space mine accommodates 5 shelves. They are not that expensive... and are great for all kinds of fud
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Kale haters make ne giggle with your memes! It's not an easy leaf to enjoy!
    We like to make kale chips or braise it with some pan fried sweet potatoe chunks with an over easy egg and bacon the IMPORTANT thing for this dish is the seasoning WHITE PEPPER and a bit of salt. It's fantastic my 5/3 year old kids like it even.
    Also good in a Italian sausage soup or chicken soup - I light to braise it before adding to the soup though especially with garlic it takes away the bitterness and adds more flavor.
    I've also juiced it which isn't terrible my biggest complaint was that I hard got any juice out of it. Good luck!

i'm not gonna lie, i enjoy some kale from time to time, and i use it in smoothies a lot. i just think it's provided us with some dank memes.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Gently fried with garlic and oil/butter until it's not so damn chewy any more. But really it's only fit for rabbits or the bin tbh :)
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Recently discovered that you can dehydrate all sorts of leafy greens, kale, spinach, dandelion greens... a friend is growing pumpkin... and yes... pumpkin leaves... dry them out toss them into a blender or food processor... grind them up and boom... healthy nutritious green powder that you can add to any recipe... y'all are welcome

This is really cool, do you know if you can do this without a dehydrator?

I imagine if you put the leaves in a low temp oven...say 120 degrees for 4-6 hours... the nice thing about a dehydrator is the shelf space mine accommodates 5 shelves. They are not that expensive... and are great for all kinds of fud

Did some googling and found directions how to do them in the oven so going to give it a whirl, but yeah-dehydrator is now on my Christmas wish list lol :)
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Pressure cook kale - it helps. It's still very fibery unless you remove the spine. Once you do that it's much better. Also, put fresh kale in the freezer over night - it helps to break down the fibers. In the south we eat a lot of "greens" kale, collards, mustard, etc... It always tastes best after a freeze.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sunna_W wrote: »
    Pressure cook kale - it helps. It's still very fibery unless you remove the spine. Once you do that it's much better. Also, put fresh kale in the freezer over night - it helps to break down the fibers. In the south we eat a lot of "greens" kale, collards, mustard, etc... It always tastes best after a freeze.

Oh wow, that's good to know. Thanks for the tip. Going to the farmer's market tomorrow so I'm going to try that.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    Gotta be honest, I don't love it. Love other greens... collards, turnip greens, chard, spinach... just not kale. It's so chew-y.

Does anyone cook it in some fashion as a side dish? I have a bunch at the moment and am wondering what I can do to use it this weekend. I'll have lots of teenaged mouths to feed. We'll be smoking chicken & ribs Saturday. Ideas appreciated!

I just steam it and then turn off the heat and leave the lid on for several minutes. I taste a small piece and eat when it's soft and not chewy. The trick is to steam until soft but not overcook it.

To season, I use salt and pepper or shake on a small amount of spice. Since you have teenagers, you could use your usual spice or condiments.
  • AMV91
    AMV91 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I steam or saute it, i helps break down the greens which make them softer to eat and easier on the belly.

For a side dish, I like to braise kale in lemon juice with garlic, its so good! Or steam it and add a simple sauce of lemon, honey, garlic and pepper, throw in tomatoes and white beans, chill in the fridge. If I want it to be a meal, I eat a good chunk of bread with it.

Kale chips are super amazing as well!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I've made kale chips and they come out great.
    I also like kale in a soup.