Exercising like a madwoman, losing NOTHING

Options

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Another data point: I'm 5'10", 185 lbs, and my waist is also 36.5".
  • donsred
    donsred Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I uploaded two photos - maybe that will help? I swear I'm not one of those people who is skinny as a stick and complains about their weight.

Yes, I've wondered if I should be eating more, but I'm not hungry, so that seems odd. I'll try it anyway, based on your comments. I started adding a protein shake today. P90X is high impact, high weight lifting. I avg 12% protein, 58% carb, 30% fat (from nuts, avocado, etc, not from junk). Eating vegan makes increasing protein hard, but I work on it. The shakes will help.

I was told to measure my waist at my belly button, so if that's wrong, then yes, the measurement is wrong - but you can see from my photos that I've definitely got a spare tire that's not going anywhere.

Also, yes, I've visited the doctor. He says not to worry about it. My cholesterol is 160, and I'm in the right weight band. I'm hypothyroid, and yes, that makes it much, much harder to lose weight no matter what. I take meds, but it's still hard. Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    donsred wrote: »
    I uploaded two photos - maybe that will help? I swear I'm not one of those people who is skinny as a stick and complains about their weight.

Yes, I've wondered if I should be eating more, but I'm not hungry, so that seems odd. I'll try it anyway, based on your comments. I started adding a protein shake today. P90X is high impact, high weight lifting. I avg 12% protein, 58% carb, 30% fat (from nuts, avocado, etc, not from junk). Eating vegan makes increasing protein hard, but I work on it. The shakes will help.

I was told to measure my waist at my belly button, so if that's wrong, then yes, the measurement is wrong - but you can see from my photos that I've definitely got a spare tire that's not going anywhere.

Also, yes, I've visited the doctor. He says not to worry about it. My cholesterol is 160, and I'm in the right weight band. I'm hypothyroid, and yes, that makes it much, much harder to lose weight no matter what. I take meds, but it's still hard. Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!

Have you heard the phrase "skinny-fat" It means you have a relatively high BF% with a normal or low BW. Based on your pictures, that's you. And while I think your waist looks more like a 34 than a 36.5. A good strength training program will help you "lean out" without losing much more weight.
  • donsred
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I looked it up, and skinny-fat means that I would have a low amount of muscle, and a poor diet. I've biked 5-10 miles a day for years, and about six months ago added an hour of interval training three times week to gear up for P90X. I'm a whole foods vegan and I don't eat sugar or junk. If I'm skinny fat, I got that way on a good amount of exercise, nuts, whole grains, and vegetables, which makes no sense to me. That's just weird. Not that life isn't.

I also see that skinny fat people tend to have "...high blood sugar, low good cholesterol, high triglycerides, inflammation, and/or high blood pressure." I have low blood sugar, normal good cholesterol, low bad cholesterol, low triglycerides, and low blood pressure. It just doesn't fit.

Well, I won't argue that more muscle is better. I'll stick with P90X and hope that it really shows in some conversion of fat to muscle in the second and third months. Thanks for the input -
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Time to see the doctor. At our age hypothyroidism can happen.
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I'd go to the doctor. I'm 5'9", 48 yo, weigh around 145-147. My waist is 29.
    I will say it has gotten harder lately -- my maintenance calories are lower.
    But if you're really at that deficit (and it sounds like you are) and not losing, maybe something is up.
  • donsred
    Options
    Not worried at all about bulking up, and would be very pleased with more muscle. I will take all advice: will increase calories, do more weight lifting and less cardio, chill, and get a medical workup. I started on protein shakes today, which are AMAZINGLY high in calories, but that and eating a bunch of seitan got my protein up to 20%. Not sure what I should be shooting for, but I hear you that I may be failing to transform fat to muscle at least in part because I'm not getting enough protein and possibly not enough calories. Will post in a month, and let you know if things have changed. Thank you each for all of your help -
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    You just look like you're slouching to me.

Strike a pose!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Not worried at all about bulking up, and would be very pleased with more muscle. I will take all advice: will increase calories, do more weight lifting and less cardio, chill, and get a medical workup. I started on protein shakes today, which are AMAZINGLY high in calories, but that and eating a bunch of seitan got my protein up to 20%. Not sure what I should be shooting for, but I hear you that I may be failing to transform fat to muscle at least in part because I'm not getting enough protein and possibly not enough calories. Will post in a month, and let you know if things have changed. Thank you each for all of your help -

For protein for weight training, and macro setting in general, you want .8 to 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass. Fats at .35 to .4 per lb of body weight, carbs for the rest. This helps with adequate protein for muscle building/ retention.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

what kind of protein shakes are you drinking that are "amazingly high" in calories???? I have a good whey isolate that is about 130 calories for 30g protein - not bad at all!
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    Also switching your routine up... diing the same thing over and ovef expecting different results is???... I would also suggest checking out a gym for a body composition analysis... fat% vs. Lean muscle mass%... switching your routine up... find other ways of getting your sweat on... ditch the bike... climb some hills... get your yoga on once/ week... buy a 35 lb kettle bell and do some circuit training with it... swim laps... create functional strength and endurance so you can participate in other healthy activities... the body has a way of adapting to routine... stop falling into the rut of complacency...

Ultimately I think you are too focused on a single part of your anatomy and your punishing yourself needlessly...increase calories and work on strength training...
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @donsred would you be able to open your food diary?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

what kind of protein shakes are you drinking that are "amazingly high" in calories???? I have a good whey isolate that is about 130 calories for 30g protein - not bad at all!

I had the same question. My protein smoothies are only "amazingly high" in calories if I add peanut butter to them.

bce577b9ec9fa077f618d4ddabf074f9.png

I eliminate the flax seeds in this one when I need less calories in it. It has the calories of a (small) meal, because it is as filling as a meal:
    8cb69b433f3590d053447d3730243bf2.png