Dr.OZ Total 10 as a guideline not the rule

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Curious to know why you're looking to suggestions on things you should be doing differently?
  • mrosner87
    mrosner87 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just because the diet changes came from his website people immediately think they aren't worth looking at. Interesting. I sit at a computer and research all day. It's a popularity thing I guess.
  • mrosner87
    Options
    My son and I eat completely different so food prep and meals are totally different aside from some tilapia and quinoa which he doesn't seem to mind.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    mrosner87 wrote: »
    Just because the diet changes came from his website people immediately think they aren't worth looking at. Interesting. I sit at a computer and research all day. It's a popularity thing I guess.

I sit at a computer all day too. I'm not a big fan of following a meal plan so I plan my own, but if this is working out for you I don't see any reason to change tbh
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It's not a popularity thing at all, it's that Oz is historically a very poor choice for accurate information on weight loss or nutrition.

What kind of changes are you wanting to make?

• mrosner87
    Options
    Mrsnatty - want to know what other people are doing that works and sustainable. MFP I've known about since a girlfriend had bypass surgery but my goals are attainable with persistence. Not to mention being single and on the market!
  • Cat3141
    Cat3141 Posts: 162 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As others have said, you increase carbs without increasing overall calories by reducing your consumption of fat or protein. Carbs and protein both have 4 calories per gram, fat is 9 calories per gram.

Good sources of carbs include starchy and sweeter vegetables (winter squash, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, carrots, peas), beans, lentils, and fruit. You could also explore other grains, such as millet, oats, quinoa, or buckwheat.

The value of carbs is that they provide a good source of fuel for your brain and muscles. They are particularly valuable if you engage in regular exercise.
  • mrosner87
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I can't find whole millet around me but i did find ground millet at a Chinese market. I'm a big fan of sweet potatoes with skin and nothing added. Squash and carrots are cool. Like quinoa too. Good to know on the exercise part as I have upped that once I got my nutrition and portion stuff under control. Also like beans and lentils. Will work on making them more regular part of planning.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    oh... and they use a food scale!
  • mrosner87
    Options
    Does hungry girl also inspire the negative emotions here?
  • mrosner87
    Options
    Is there a particular meal that one thinks covers everything really well? Share?
  • mrosner87
    Options
    oh... and they use a food scale!

I weigh my meat proteins now thanks to my mom giving me a kitchen scale. Thanks for being nice :)
  • mrosner87
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Does hungry girl also inspire the negative emotions here?

All the quacks do, if they peddle woo dietary or otherwise they get called out. For the love of god never mention freelee

Don't even know freelee. Dr oz and hungry girl stuff comes from my mom bc she watches tv and I dont but some of the basic principles they have aren't completely misguided. What comes wrong of it is when people think its going to be their get skinny and healthy quick scheme just like get rich quick. That *kitten* simply dont exist. It's dedication and long term hard work to achieve the goals.
  • mrosner87
    Options
    Some of the steam bag veggies that i eat have the barcode and thdn I can adjust the serving because I usually just eat the whole bag with the protein. So sounds like I need to cut the veggie to 1 portion (eck more weighing and measuring lol) And adding the carb. Got it!
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If it's working for you and you are using it to get food recommendations while tracking with MFP, why change it?

Dr. Oz is pretty terrible but it sounds like you're just using this for food recommendations. Unless you are eating less than 1200 calories?