Apartment Gym vs Actual Gym

Options
jmkim196
jmkim196 Posts: 6 Member
My current goal is to lose weight, but once I hit my weight goal I want to start to gain muscle.

My current apartment gym has
Treadmill, Bicycle, Lat pulldown and row machine, pull-up bar, and a few broken machines(Been reported, but they just don't care it seems). It lacks a bench press, dumbells, medicine balls, etc. I go 5 times a week, and roughly spend an hour and a half there.

The closest gym to me in the most expensive one in my area($65), and the cheaper ones($10-35) are about a 10-20 minute drive. Once I get into a bigger home I do want to have a small home gym, but that won't be for a while.

Just wanted to see everyone's opinion on this. Don't want to join a membership, then not go more then 5 times a month, and that's probably the only reason I haven't signed up for one yet. It would be my first Gym membership and my first experience. Guess you could say I have that whole gym paranoia.

Replies

• caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    Don't wait until you hit your goal weight to start building muscle. Start now. The idea that you can't build muscle and lose fat simultaneously is largely a myth, and by working on your muscle mass now, you will prevent muscle loss that inevitably happens on calorie restriction.

Also.. bite the bullet and get the gym membership. If you're paranoid about your form, have someone help you.

In a few short months, you will be so thankful you did both of these things.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Call the gym and ask about a week free pass to check it out, or at least a day pass. Don't commit to it for a year before experiencing it.
  • SDCook37
    SDCook37 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The first couple of trips to the gym can be intimidating (like anything else new). Just keep going. Before you know it the first day turns into a week, then a month, etc. You'll be surprised how quickly you feel comfortable there, like one of the regulars.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,494 Member
    Options
    SDCook37 wrote: »
    The first couple of trips to the gym can be intimidating (like anything else new). Just keep going. Before you know it the first day turns into a week, then a month, etc. You'll be surprised how quickly you feel comfortable there, like one of the regulars.

Trooth

.... also, $65.00 is pretty affordable.

cut cut back somewhere else ( like expensive coffee drinks or fast food )
  • King_Spicy
    King_Spicy Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Been there done that. My old apartment gym lacked any free weights, so I joined a gym. I picked one of the newest and most expensive gyms in the areafor a multitude of reasons. However my new apartment gym has everything I need, so im back to free work outs.

My gym membership was great, and hearing all my coworkers *kitten* and moan about their gyms taught me something. Ppl ae cheap and join whatever the lowest cost gym is making it ultra packed and often less maintained. The number of members at the $15/month gym here were frightening. Even the $30-45/month gyms were at the point of working in between sets to get something u want or yelling at someone to stop sitting on a flat bench to do their curls and check their phone. I also found out that since i was paying $80/month, I wanted to get the most for my money and I never missed my workouts. Sometimes I would just stop by for bonus workouts for fun.

On the verse side I joined Sport and Health at $60/month + $20/month for daycare. It was in a newly built upscale night life center, so it didnt have many members yet, and everyone that joined were ppl that didnt mind shelling out more money for the peace and quiet. The gym was so incredibly clean and well kept. The employees new everyone by name and were friendly, and they had the best class instructors. I even left my $600 wedding band on a weight bench once, and someone actually turned it in instead of taking it. I miss that gym so much, but I moved a lil further north. They informed me they will be building a gym near me next yr, so Ill prob do the same and be one of their first yr customers that will bask in the light of a new and more expensive gym while others scare away to the cheaper ones.
  • EllaDowd25lsS
    EllaDowd25lsS Posts: 1 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    It’s very sad that the gym is not monitored in your house. True, I don't have such a service in my house. In my opinion, the ideal solution would be to find a new gym. I know that many gyms offer 1 free trial day. Therefore, you can try to go to the nearest gym that you like. It's a shame that nowadays there are not so many places to stay where all the necessary services are right around the corner. True, I recently read about the prestige primrose hills project, which promises that next to the residential complexes there will be all the necessary services, including shops and places to work. I was very interested in this project because it is in India and it sounds like a dream for any person.