Hiyaaaaa!!!! Am new to this only started today

Options
Hiya everyone, I only joined this few hours ago. Am hoping this app is going help me! Av struggled for a year
Need get forcus and think positive

Replies

• Teaboc
    Teaboc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, used MFP before but this is me getting serious as I need to lose two stone in a year! Find it very difficult to lose weight, need to focus too!!
  • dondonz2017
    dondonz2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Am the same want to lose 2St 7lb going be bridesmaid in November and am the only bridesmaid that can't fit in mu dress, so it's time to kick *kitten*
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Hi, i just started a few days ago.
    It is really helpful. I love that you can just scan the barcodes of food thats incredibly easy!
    I want to lose 8 kg. Have been counting my calories and excercise for the last week and lost .4kg! Yay :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hi, i just started a few days ago.
    It is really helpful. I love that you can just scan the barcodes of food thats incredibly easy!
    I want to lose 8 kg. Have been counting my calories and excercise for the last week and lost .4kg! Yay :)

I wouldn't trust the food scanner - double check the entries, and also weigh your food and make sure the portion matches what is in the entry.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Oh yeah, i thought it might not be accurate too. But i just scan and double check the label and portion size! So far I've found it correct.
  • jemimapuddle
    jemimapuddle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've just posted about bridesmaid duties I'm
    1 in 12 months and I have over 4 stone to loose. We can do this! Good luck! X
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Thats so do able! .5 kg or 1 pound a week is really achieveable! Thats what im aiming for too. So ive calculated my bmr is 1550cal so if i burn 500 through exercise and stick to 1500cal days thats a pound a week loss.
    Have you guys all calculated your weight loss in that way?
  • jemimapuddle
    jemimapuddle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a really good way of doing it. I'm not very good at calculating things so was just gonna do it with my fitbit connected to MFP and hope that it's all accurate?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thats so do able! .5 kg or 1 pound a week is really achieveable! Thats what im aiming for too. So ive calculated my bmr is 1550cal so if i burn 500 through exercise and stick to 1500cal days thats a pound a week loss.
    Have you guys all calculated your weight loss in that way?

Have you put your stats in to MFP? It's not based on bmr, but tdee which include the energy burnt just from normal daily activity (not exercise). You shouldn't need to eat under your bmr to lose weight.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Oh yeah, i thought it might not be accurate too. But i just scan and double check the label and portion size! So far I've found it correct.

You need to weigh it as well...
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Nah nah nah. This works! this is how you make sure youre getting a calorie defecit and lose weight.
    So 3500 calories = 1 pound.
    Therefore if you burn 3500 more calories than you eat you will lose 1 pound. Also if you eat 3500 calories more you will gain 1 pound (god its easy to do that!!)
    So first of all google a bmr calculator thats how many calories your body will burn if you lay in bed all day for basic body functions.
    So you burn that every day. You need to make sure you eat less calories than you burn from bmr and whatever excercise you do.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Nah nah nah. This works! this is how you make sure youre getting a calorie defecit and lose weight.
    So 3500 calories = 1 pound.
    Therefore if you burn 3500 more calories than you eat you will lose 1 pound. Also if you eat 3500 calories more you will gain 1 pound (god its easy to do that!!)
    So first of all google a bmr calculator thats how many calories your body will burn if you lay in bed all day for basic body functions.
    So you burn that every day. You need to make sure you eat less calories than you burn from bmr and whatever excercise you do.

No. Please just enter your stats in to MFP with your relevant activity level to get a calorie goal for weight loss. Add exercise on top for more calories.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Yeah i have put my stats in the app but i have found it wants me to eat more than i need to to achieve my goals. Im not necessarily trying to eat less calories than my bmr but think a 1500 calorie daily diet is a good amount? Is it not?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Yeah i have put my stats in the app but i have found it wants me to eat more than i need to to achieve my goals. Im not necessarily trying to eat less calories than my bmr but think a 1500 calorie daily diet is a good amount? Is it not?

Why would it tell you to eat more than you needed to achieve your goals? The point is not to diet on as little as possible, but as much as possible. Your body needs nutrients to survive, depriving yourself will lead to health issues and probably see you binging from being so restrictive.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    I honestly dont think i am restricting myself at all on 1500 cals. I usually eat along the lines of
    Eggs and multigrain toast or fruit and yoghurt for breaky
    A sandwhich multigrain and some fruit and a musely bar for lunch
    And varying options for dinner but usually is 500-700 calories.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Also it might be telling me i can eat more because i have a very active job and burn 500-900 calories a day just at work?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Also it might be telling me i can eat more because i have a very active job and burn 500-900 calories a day just at work?

It's giving you an appropriate amount of calories to reach your goal whilst giving you sufficient calories to function healthily at the same time, taking your stats and lifestyle into consideration
  • gncurley
    gncurley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello I'm a bridesmaid also and need to loose around three stone ! Good luck xx
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Its actually giving me no defecit just had a look to try to figure it out and its just telling me to eat the exact same amount of calories as i burn.
    So eat goal is to eat 1500. Today ive eaten 910 so far+ 0 excercise = 590 remaining.
    So if i actually followed that i would not lose any weight and just stay the same?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Its actually giving me no defecit just had a look to try to figure it out and its just telling me to eat the exact same amount of calories as i burn.
    So eat goal is to eat 1500. Today ive eaten 910 so far+ 0 excercise = 590 remaining.
    So if i actually followed that i would not lose any weight and just stay the same?

What number did mfp give you when you put in your stats (with appropriate activity level to include normal daily activity) to lose weight? This is your calorie goal to eat everyday before exercise with a deficit calculated in to it. If you exercise, those calories get added extra, on top, to still mean you'll be in a deficit. .