How long have you kept the weight off?

Options
I lost 140 pounds twenty years ago, but gained it all back. How many of you have kept your weight off for more than five years? I want so much to lose the weight again, but I'm afraid of failing like I did before.

Replies

• KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I lost 35# a couple years ago, then gained back 25#. Working on losing it again, but this time I addressed the reasons why I was binge eating to begin with. So I think I'll have better odds of keeping it off this time.

Are you able to address the reasons why you regained, and take the necessary steps to stop it going forward? You can do this! And you will be stronger for it.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Not me but I'm interested to see others talk of their success. I lost 40 pounds 5 years ago but gave up long before reaching my goal.

Gained it back over a 4 year period and added 15 more due to pregnancy. In the last 7 months I've lost down to below my previous lowest weight. I've got 30ish to go and I'm going to succeed this time!
  • DJMayes2016
    DJMayes2016 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Started at 110.7 kg / 244 lbs; dropped to a target weight of 75 kg / 165 lbs last September. Have maintained since then between 70-75kg; presently 72.7 kg / 160 lbs.

I have not bothered logging food during maintenance. I had been at it long enough to have an idea of what a good/bad day is. I just keep an eye on the weight and adjust food/exercise for a few days depending on where it's going.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I've been bouncing between 180 and 190 for about 4 months now, maybe 5. It's sort of unintentional b/c the goal is to lose more. But the bulk of the weight has been gone for a while, and even though I'm technically slightly "overweight" BMI depending on the day I am in very good shape from all of the weight lifting and high protein intake.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread!
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Well all I can say @calatheauk is - you don't post often, but when you do, you are awesome.

Great post, and great insight into hanling long term maintenance, with set backs etc.

Cheers, h.
  • robinhager3998
    robinhager3998 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories! I am inspired by how well you have done! I think we need to ignore the naysayers that say we will always gain it back. You have shown that success can be a life long achievement!
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    It should be a lifestyle change, instead of just diet.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    I lost 57 lbs over 18 months and I've maintained it, within a couple of lbs, for 3 and a half years now. I log everything, every day and do a LOT of exercise. My BMI is now 23.8. I love to cook and to eat and have the occasional drink, but I always come in at, or under calories.
    I feel fit and look good. I am 67, nearing 68, so it is never too late. :D

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    It took me 8 months to lose the first 50 pounds and nine months to lose the last 20. That was in 2007-08. I've kept it off, even lost a few more pounds.

I used to gain and lose 5-10 pounds every winter/summer right after my initial weight-loss, but that has evened out in the last three years.

I still log food. It's a mini-disaster when I don't. Ask me how I know.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!