At 46 Why bother losing weight?

Options
Hi everyone, that is the question I asked myself, after all, I have been fat since I reached 40. Honestly, one minute I am slim and fit and 39 then 40 and well overweight with a BMI of 30! Well why bother now, after 6 years of being fat? I tried every diet in the book, the cabbage soup diet, weight watchers, the apple diet, etc etc. Yes they all worked up to a point, then I would fall off the wagon and boom, I would balloon up again. Then my 15 year old daughter got myfitnesspal up on the computer, She said to me that if I really wanted to lose weight, check this out. I did, that was a month a ago and I have lost over one stone approx 15lbs already! After every meal, snack or coffee or water Iog on and enter what I have eaten or drunk. It really makes you aware of how much you are eating. Plus everyone is really supportive of each other. Love love love this site. Good luck to you all in your weight loss goals.

Replies

• nikkieliivey
    nikkieliivey Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Way to get back in it after all that frustration!
  • dboothe3
    dboothe3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am with you on that boat. Keep it up.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Good job! You'll be one hot mama at 50 and beyond! (ha ha)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Its good to realize diets dont work, life style changes do, Good luck on your weight loss
  • Murphy15
    Murphy15 Posts: 142
    Options
    Go you! You ask why bother losing weight at 46??? Because you're only halfway through life!! I'm still pretty young, but when I'm 46 I'm gonna keep a hot mama mindset. Keep up the good work!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Glad you were turned to this site, it really does help understand more about food, exercise, and yourself! Congrats to you for sticking with it!! Good luck on the rest of your journey!!!
    :drinker: (H2O, of course :wink: )
    Bru
  • LainMac
    LainMac Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I wish I was 46 again. *Sigh*
  • allywallis86
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your encouraging comments.
  • terib2010
    terib2010 Posts: 2
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I just turned 40 and I am still fat. I started gaining weight after my last child was born about nine years ago and yes, I tried every "free" diet under the sun, even the fad diets. Obviously none of them worked because here I am trying once again. When I turned 40 last month I said the same thing to myself..."Why Bother" Then this past weekend, I realized that I deserve to be thin, I deserve to be healthy and happy! Of course I know exactly what I have to do, I've read a ton of books, visited a ton of websites over the years...now I just have to finally Do It and keep doing it until it sticks. Because I am worth it! And so are you!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Well I am 55 and I can tell you several reasons why now. I work in a hospital on a heart floor. The majority of our patients are there because of poor choices. Smoke too much, ate too much, never exercised. You can get away with that lifestyle as a teen, not as a adult. So I take care of people in their mid 30's on. Heart disease, diabetes, vascular disease. On 400 dollars worth of medication a month. They can't walk a block without getting short of breath. Many have trouble getting their shoes on and wiping their butts. And I don't want that to be me. I don't want that to be anyone. So..... no matter what your age you can change. You can lose weight, you can exercise. This doesn't have to be you..... or me. So really, it's no bother. It's your life. Literally. Because it will catch up with you. And it is never ever too late to change.
  • nursee67
    nursee67 Posts: 503
    Options
    Good for you for finding this site! I agree with Julia...I am a nurse taking care of people who made the wrong choices throughout their life. I was one of those people...smoking, eating way too much. Guess what??? I ended up fat and short of breath and way too lazy. Lost my mother when she was 58! I don't want to die in 16 yrs! So, here I am...working my way to a healthy lifestyle with the help and encouragement of so many. Keep coming back...we are all here for you too!
  • susanbertram
    Options
    I am 52 and still want to keep my body in shape and healthy, this is a great forum to help each other stay motivated and share what works and what doesn't - glad to hear your loosing, this is my first week.
  • kaciemustlose
    Options
    Why wouldn't you!!?? Your still young and have many years ahead! Just think of all the things you would love to do.... Keep it up!
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I wish I was 46 again. *Sigh*

How could you say that?!! I just turned 48 and I'll tell you WE ARE STILL YOUNG!:drinker:
  • mamaDaisyJ
    mamaDaisyJ Posts: 395
    Options
    Congrats on starting your journey and the awesome start you have had!
    My great gramma just passed at 103, so there are many reasons to still get healthy at 46. And one of 'em pointed you to this site~ Kudos to her too!