Map my walk accuracy

Options
I walk all day at work so i leave map my walk on for hours.
I dont think it is accurate in terms of just how many calories im burning from walking because i would walk only about 1km per hour on average but its definitely not as many as it shows.

Do you think i would be correct in guessing that it is caluculating my bmr per hour along with the walking? Ihave been dividing my bmr by 24hrs and taking off bmr per hour.
Would that be the right way of calculating my calories burnt from walking?

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    No body knows? I couldnt find out online at all.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Well, how many calories is it giving you? I do think that most of these apps give you the total burn during that period, not just the incremental burn. That's why exercise cals always seem inflated.
  • sophie9492015
    Options

For instance 5.3 kms in 4hours,17 minutes says 766 calories.
    I feel like thats far too much so have been taking off my bmr..
    Incremental means just burnt from excercise?
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Well, how many calories is it giving you? I do think that most of these apps give you the total burn during that period, not just the incremental burn. That's why exercise cals always seem inflated.

For instance 5.3 kms in 4hours,17 minutes says 766 calories.
    I feel like thats far too much so have been taking off my bmr..
    Incremental means just burnt from excercise?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    That's crazy calories! I'm not sure it would be 766 in 4 hours even including your BMR. There is a formula for calculating calories burned by walking. For 150 lb person it comes out to about 50 cal per mile I believe.
    Yes, incremental would be the "extra" cals from exercise only.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    That's crazy calories! I'm not sure it would be 766 in 4 hours even including your BMR. There is a formula for calculating calories burned by walking. For 150 lb person it comes out to about 50 cal per mile I believe.

I know, its so crazy!! Thats why i have been dividing my bmr by 24hours. (65) and taking that off per hour. After soing that it would be 506 calories.. do you think that could be right?
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Ive tried using online calculators but they wont calcualate it, saying theres an error because of how long it takes to walk that much
  • tg16nullity
    tg16nullity Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Map my run does the same thing. Went for a roughly 40 minute jog and it told me something like 1,100 calories. I'm saving for a Garmin Vivoactive HR for this very reason.
  • MilesAddie
    MilesAddie Posts: 166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I've noticed using map my walk that it seems to assume that if you do not hit 'pause' that you are continuing to walk at the same pace continuously. Here's an example: I take my son in the stroller on a long walk about 3x week. It's 2.6 Miles out, and 2.6 Miles back. Sometimes, on the way back, we will stop at the grocery store and spend about 30 minutes grabbing stuff. If I don't hit pause, when I get back home, it calculates my walk as about 6.5 miles, which would make sense considering my average pace, but there is no way that I walk over a mile in a tiny Boston grocery store. If it hit pause when I'm in the grocery store, the walk is pretty much spot on.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,435 Member
    Options

Yes, it's lbs * miles * 0.3 or kg * km * 0.37(ish). Thus the duration has very little to do with it. It's all about distance and bodyweight. This is for net calories, thus the calories your body would burn by just sitting around is rightly not included.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Map my run does the same thing. Went for a roughly 40 minute jog and it told me something like 1,100 calories. I'm saving for a Garmin Vivoactive HR for this very reason.

@tg16nullity That's crazy! I used MapMyRun to track my latest 13 mile long run. It only gave me 1500 calories. What do you have your profile/settings set to?
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

Yes, it's lbs * miles * 0.3 or kg * km * 0.37(ish). Thus the duration has very little to do with it. It's all about distance and bodyweight. This is for net calories, thus the calories your body would burn by just sitting around is rightly not included.

Thanks so much for that will definitely start using this calculations instead and see how were really going!!
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Okay so i did .. 74 × 5.3 x 0.37
    And got 145 calories .
    Damn i really thought walking around all day would burn more calories.. bit upsetting. Haha