Excercise that burns 200 calories in 2.5 mins.

Options
So i found this article online that says you can burn 200 calories in 2.5 minutes..
Really? Is that true that you could burn 1000 calories in 12.5 minutes. It seems too good to be true.. heres the article

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.popsugar.com.au/fitness/Exercises-Burn-200-Calories-Under-3-Minutes-37192813/amp

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It sounds like HIIT, but the exercises they've suggested aren't ideal imo.

You also don't just exercise for the short time, if you read the article they say you do 4 minutes in between each of the 5 30s intervals.

You also can't do proper HIIT everyday due to the intensity.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thank you, but why wouldn't you just do 12.5 minute a day and burn 1000 cal?
    What makes those exercises not ideal?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options
    Thank you, but why wouldn't you just do 12.5 minute a day and burn 1000 cal?
    What makes those exercises not ideal?

The point is to work so intensely that you physically can't do more than 10-20 seconds without a break. (I personally think 30s is too long for an HIIT interval but never mind)

You need decent rest periods in between to recover, so that you're able to push yourself again.

You can't continuously do it for that long. You have to take breaks in between. Those exercises are more for intervals I think - I know I wouldn't get the same effect from them as a I would from doing sprint on a spin bike or flat out on a treadmill.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    What if you did them 2.5 mins at a time through out the day? Would you burn the 1000 calories?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It seems too good to be true..

I'd agree with your assessment. There is absolutely no chance.

To put it in perspective, I'll burn about 100 calories per mile running. I can run a mile in about 6 minutes, but not for any great distance.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    edited July 2017
    Options
    What if you did them 2.5 mins at a time through out the day? Would you burn the 1000 calories?

You can't even do 2.5 minutes at a time. You have to have breaks in between the intervals, as the article describes. So, you'd be doing cardio for 20-30 minutes with a few bursts of extremely high intensity exercise.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Lol these articles are always huge over estimates.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    It seems too good to be true, because it is. There is no way you are going to have that burn level.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Damn it .. i knew it was too good to be true! Hahah. Any suggestions for excercises that burn cals quickly? Because i walk all day at work i am so tired to workout alot.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Swimming tends to have a decent burn, but personally it also makes me stupid hungry. You don't need that high of a calorie burn to lose weight. Why do you want to burn that much?
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    I guess you're right, i just thought it would be incredible to be able to do it so easily.
    I really want to burn 500 calories per day. But dont want to spend an hour doing it..
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options

You can't even do 2.5 minutes at a time. You have to have breaks in between the intervals, as the article describes. So, you'd be doing cardio for 20-30 minutes with a few bursts of extremely high intensity exercise.

This. It's five rounds of 30-second bursts followed with one minute of rest in between, so it's really 6.5 minutes (sounds like a watered down version of tabata).

First, to burn 1,000 calories (assuming the 200 estimate is correct) it would take about 40 minutes to do five sessions (assuming two minutes rest in between sessions.

Second, if you're really going all out, I doubt you could keep it up for five consecutive sessions.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    No, you can't! Calorie burn is not related to heartrate. Energy expenditure is very simply an equation involving mass, distance covered and some gravity thrown in, plus a fairly small multiplyer for how our bodies work. So say you lift a 50kg weight 0.5m up: 50x0.5*9.81 <- this is gravity. This gives 245 joules. This is literally nothing in calories.

If you want to burn 500kcal then you really have to go full out, and bring enough time along. Remember it's roughly weight * distance, for example for running lbs * miles * 0.68 or for walking lbs * miles * 0.3. Now think about how long you'd need for that. It's honestly easier to create a meaningful calorie deficite in the kitchen, and do sports to get a handful of calories extra and for your wellbeing and health :)
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Thanks so much!
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Hey yirara, do you think you could help me put with my map my walk accuracy question, please? I just posted in the fitness section..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It seems too good to be true..

Yup!!
    I guess you're right, i just thought it would be incredible to be able to do it so easily.
    I really want to burn 500 calories per day. But dont want to spend an hour doing it..

It would be incredible. And if it were that easy, there would be a lot more fit people in the world. You've actually got to put in the work.

The best calorie burning exercise I've found is climbing stairs (real stairs) ... but even then you've got to climb a lot of stairs quite quickly, and it is still going to take a whole lot more than 2.5 minutes to burn 200 calories.

• sophie9492015
    Options
    Thanks, i have got a gym membership i havent used for a while.. whats the best excercise to do at the gym?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Thanks, i have got a gym membership i havent used for a while.. whats the best excercise to do at the gym?

Spin class
    Running on the treadmill
    Rowing is decent too ... good for some variety
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

Cardio for fitness and to burn calories if you want to increase calories out (allowing you to increase calories in and still be in a deficit)

Plus resistance training to help maintain muscle whilst you are in a deficit