Dinners for 500 calories or less

Options
I struggle with low calorie dinners, what do you guys have? Im aiming for 500 calorie dinners but happy to hear about more calories aswell. How many calories do you eat at dinner?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I took a different approach. I set my calorie intake to reflect a 1% loss per week, then split my daily intake loosely into meals, and picked foods to fit somewhat, and then adjusted portions. This way I could eat normal food, which avoided boredom and burnout, and it prepared me for maintenance later. Most dinners tended to end up around 600 calories, and I kept to 1600 calories for the most part.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Yeah im finding my dinners at least 600 when im really trying..
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    My lunches are usually lower calorie or <500cals.. things like roasted chicken breast on salad or veggies, tuna wrap, veggie and cheese omelettes, soups, etc. Then for dinner I get to eat more, so 1000cal+ . I like it that way better since I don't really get that hungry at lunch but love a big dinner.
  • sophie9492015
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Yeah im really thinking i need to rearrange my calories per meal.. i just had a really healthy dinner in my mind marinated tandoori chicken with some greek yoghurt and cucumber side. with steamed broccoli, carrots and cabbage and grilled zuchhini. Just over 700 calories.
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Todays dinner will be whole grain pasta with scampi in tomato sauce and some low fat feta cheese. I might add peas in if I feel like it. 75 g of the whole grain Spaghetti, 90g scampi, a little tomato sauce, 50 g low fat feta and 70 g of peas would get me around 500 cal (more like 480)

• sophie9492015
    Options
    Yess please scarlet sounds amazing!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Hopefully this will work (it's a books.google link just shortened) http://tinyurl.com/y7rejzcu
  • royalty_mind_1me
    royalty_mind_1me Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I just feel lonely like a smoothie! It's always under 500
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    Hopefully this will work (it's a books.google link just shortened) http://tinyurl.com/y7rejzcu

Mm, didnt work. Thats okay i can see the idea and probably make something similar . Thanks for your effort though!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how well I can do all day. I'll eat about 800 calories or so from 7am until 5 pm. Them I get really hungry. I've started allocating 800 calories for dinner and another 200 for a post dinner snack.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My dinners, as in supper, are pretty small. 300-400 calories unless going out. Dinner, as in the largest meal, usually ends up at about 600-800 calories unless we're having something higher in calories. I don't have allocated numbers for meals, I just see every day if I want something in particular or if I have something planned and then just adapt my other meals around it to make it fit. If I don't want anything in particular and have no plans I just go through the day eating what I feel like eating at that moment making reasonable choices, then see how many calories I have left for dinner and fill them up with whatever is left and sounds good to me.

Now with that said, I have this planned today because my hunger levels are through the roof:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lemony-chicken-soup-with-farro-white-beans-and-kale

It has many things that fill me up (beans, protein, volume, fiber) and is under 1 calorie per gram, under 0.8 even. I'm not using farro and kale, I'm using hulled barley and spinach because that's what I have on hand, and I'm eating it with a piece of bread because the more starch the merrier, might even make croutons if I'm not too lazy. It's such a low calorie dish for the volume that I can afford croutons.
  • MFPSK1977
    MFPSK1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    scarlett_k wrote: »

This should work
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=YpsyDgAAQBAJ&lpg=PP1&pg=PT153#v=onepage&q&f=false
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    I think its not working on my phone. Will try on laptop tomorrow!
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If it doesn't work you can google Nadiya Hussain prawn orange curry with basmati and *hopefully* you should get a book preview of the recipe & instructions. It's so delicious!

I'm making another of her recipes tonight which is fish pie with cinnamon sweet potato and that comes in at under 500 a serving too. Looking forward to it as usually I find things seem to be less satisfying for dinner if they are under about 700.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    500 gets me a head of cauliflower or broccoli, mushrooms, beans/tempeh/tofu/veggie burger, fruit and chia pudding or Yasso.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    One pork chop cooked with little to no oil in a frying pan and pile of veggies like zucchini and broccoli.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    One pork chop cooked with little to no oil in a frying pan and pile of veggies like zucchini and broccoli.

This is one of my old favorites! Can't go wrong!