Trampolining

Options
Hey, has anyone got any idea of how many calories you burn trampolining? I've just spent an hour at a trampoline park with my kids. Best I can find online is 8 calories per minute. Does this sound close, to much, not enough? :/

Replies

• staceymcmd
    staceymcmd Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was curious about this too,
    Found this on google:
    Calories Burned Trampolining. After jumping on a trampoline for 10 minutes, a 150-pound adult burns around 42 calories. A 30 minute workout burns 126 calories. The same 30 minute workout performed by a 200-pound individual burns 167 calories.
  • Panda8ach
    Panda8ach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    staceymcmd wrote: »
    Found this on google:
    Calories Burned Trampolining. After jumping on a trampoline for 10 minutes, a 150-pound adult burns around 42 calories. A 30 minute workout burns 126 calories. The same 30 minute workout performed by a 200-pound individual burns 167 calories.

Thank you :) I saw that too but the guy at the trampoline park said it burns 3 times the amount as jogging :/ I don't want to put too much/too little.... Urgh :s
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Panda8ach wrote: »
    Found this on google:

Thank you :) I saw that too but the guy at the trampoline park said it burns 3 times the amount as jogging :/ I don't want to put too much/too little.... Urgh :s

The guy at the trampoline park is doing his job--promoting his business by feeding you BS.

The trampoline advocates rely on a NASA study that was done like 50 years ago to justify those claims. I have read the study--my memory is that it was mostly incomprehensible.

Most studies on trampolining--looking at jumping, running/marching in place, have shown a modest intensity--more like a brisk walk. You have to do a lot of vigorous limb movement to get to a decent level.

In the past couple of years, I have seen some videos that use a trampoline as part of an overall circuit-including jumping on an off the rebounder, squats, push-ups, etc. That's a different thing
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Found this on google:

The guy at the trampoline park is doing his job--promoting his business by feeding you BS.

The trampoline advocates rely on a NASA study that was done like 50 years ago to justify those claims. I have read the study--my memory is that it was mostly incomprehensible.

Most studies on trampolining--looking at jumping, running/marching in place, have shown a modest intensity--more like a brisk walk. You have to do a lot of vigorous limb movement to get to a decent level.

In the past couple of years, I have seen some videos that use a trampoline as part of an overall circuit-including jumping on an off the rebounder, squats, push-ups, etc. That's a different thing

I was playing dodgeball while bouncing, flips, airbag jumping etc... It was vigorous :/ You're telling me I only burnt a little more than if I'd walked briskly for an hour? I'm not sure, as it's mainly a place for kids, that the guy was doing his job and feeding me Bull *kitten* :/
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    I found a calculator... 12 minutes, 72 calories. I'll go with that. Thanks :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    We always want to overestimate our exercise calories.
  • 62apples
    62apples Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    it is under rebounding: 15 min is 79 calories.
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    62apples wrote: »
    it is under rebounding: 15 min is 79 calories.

Thank you
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I have a trampoline and can vary the exercises so they are at 70-80% of my max heart rate. A few variations and I can burst higher for intervals. I'm sure a gymnast with better technique can do much more.
  • BrianKMcFalls
    BrianKMcFalls Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the park here has an hour long workout class they advertise that they claim burns 800+, I'm not buying it.
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    It's a hard one because I was a super sweaty Betty after, my heart was off like the clappers and it felt like I'd done an hour on my Elliptical which would have been about 500 calories... Hmmm :s
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    It's a hard one because I was a super sweaty Betty after, my heart was off like the clappers and it felt like I'd done an hour on my Elliptical which would have been about 500 calories... Hmmm :s

Better to underestimate than overestimate though...

Sweating is not a good indication of burning calories.
  • Panda8ach
    Options

Better to underestimate than overestimate though...

Sweating is not a good indication of burning calories.

It is for me :) We're all different aren't we... I've underestimated to be safe. Thanks
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,442 Member
    Options
    Found this on google:

I don't think it does to be honest. In jogging you need to jump up without the support of some elastic ground, while a trampoline supports you with achieving this. It's just a gut feeling though. I would be very caucious there.
  • Panda8ach
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Found this on google:

I don't think it does to be honest. In jogging you need to jump up without the support of some elastic ground, while a trampoline supports you with achieving this. It's just a gut feeling though. I would be very caucious there.

Oh I was cautious... It's not going to be a thing I do alot although I wouldn't mind doing a fitness class on them. It was fun :)