Could I have some advice on recomping, please?

Just a heads up that I'm completely new to the whole idea of recomping, so you may have to explain things like I'm five!

My issue is thus: my upper body feels too skinny (I'm quite boney, especially in the chest area, and have been advised by my doctor to gain weight, which is fine by me). However, I carry most of my fat in my legs, especially my upper thighs. I currently run, do pilates, yoga, walking and maybe the occasional BodyCombat or strength training (arms, usually). Is there a way that I can be less skinny in my upper body whilst still maintaining tone and simultaneously losing fat in my legs?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Recomposition is maintaining weight while adding muscle and losing fat. To do this you would want to look into a resistance training program that uses the whole body, not just arms. Following a lifting program that incorporates legs will help your legs look slimmer.

If you are underweight it would be a good idea to get into the healthy weight zone before you think about recomposition. Lifting weights while underweight can be dangerous.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited July 2017
    Is there a way that I can be less skinny in my upper body whilst still maintaining tone and simultaneously losing fat in my legs?

Yes eat at maintenance, train hard to gain muscle on your upper body. Your current routine isn't going to be optimal so you have to resolve your goal versus your training preferences versus speed of progress.
    "Occasional strength training (arms, usually)" doesn't sound too great TBH! :smile:

Remember you can chose where to add muscle but you can't chose where to lose fat.

But if your Doctor has advised you to gain weight then eat at a small surplus, not at maintenance.

PS - Struck through the "maintaining tone" part as don't really understand what you mean by that.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    I agree with sijomial, eat a small surplus and lift weights. Focus more on lifting than cardio if you want to build mass.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    +1