Avoiding 1200 calories but maybe it's inevitable?

Options
Hello,

Since the beginning of July I've been trying to lose weight by eating between 14000-1500 calories, but after losing two hard earned pounds, the scale isn't budging. I've been at 150 off and on for the past two weeks...

I'm not very active right now, but I am walking on the treadmill 30 minutes a day.

I don't want to go as low as 1200 b/c I hate feeling hungry, but my body isn't responding the way I thought it would when I reduced my calorie intake to 1400.

I'm a 40 y/o woman with 10-15 pounds to lose and I'm fairly muscular...

Keep with the 14-1500 and trust that the weight loss will really kick in, eventually? Or move the calorie intake down to (shudder) 1200?

Replies

• joycooke2017
    joycooke2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It would be a good idea to check what foods within that 1500 calorie range might need to be replaced with a lower calorie nutrient dense food. I found this to be my issue when I stalled out. I had to increase my vegetable servings. This is especially important when you cannot exercise as much as you usually do. Congrats on getting to where you are!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,481 Member
    Options
    How tall are you? I'm only 169, 43 years old, and according to calculators my maintenance calories are 1540. Your currently TDEE might just be above 1700 if you're unlucky. Eating at a potential deficite of 200kca, this might take a while. But hey, all good things take a while :)
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Only wait :)t626te7ed7243d23.jpg
  • sarahmbm
    sarahmbm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 '5.

I'm just perplexed because the calorie king logging app has me between 1900-2200 calories for weight loss. I didn't realize that 2 pounds per month is normal if you only have ten pounds to lose. I'll try to keep that in mind. It's frustrating when you're super-disciplined but not seeing immediate results. I will try to be patient and check back in around 6 weeks. Maybe I should also NOT weigh myself daily, as it's making me feel like I'm not experiencing any significant progress....

Thank you for your wisdom, everyone!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    You lost two pounds in three weeks, what is the problem?
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    You lost two pounds in three weeks, what is the problem?

Agree. I'm 5'4, 130, 47 and I have to net 1260 to lose half a pound a week. It sucks but that's why I exercise quite a bit. Without exercise weight loss is torture this close to goal.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    It is frustrating, but keep in mind that weight loss is not linear. There are times when I lose that I don't see the scale drop for almost a month, then whoosh...2-3 lbs at once. Especially when you don't have much to lose, it is extremely unlikely you will see weekly losses on the scale like clockwork. Two weeks is not a stall or a plateau. At this point, all you can do is be patient, I'm afraid.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Over .5 pounds/week is a reasonable rate of loss with only 10-15 lbs. to lose.

I'd do anything rather than going to 1200 calories/day, but that's just me. I'll take frustratingly slow loss over being miserable and feeling restricted any day.
  • sarahmbm
    Options
    I feel the same way. I guess I'm just being impatient. Maybe the best solution is for me to weight myself once a month instead of every day. I need to see substantial progress for my own motivation...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You lost 2 Lbs in 3 weeks...I don't see a problem here other than unreasonable expectations. With only 10-15 Lbs to lose, it's going to be slow...you can't reasonably expect to drop huge amounts of weight like an obese individual.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    sarahmbm wrote: »
    I feel the same way. I guess I'm just being impatient. Maybe the best solution is for me to weight myself once a month instead of every day. I need to see substantial progress for my own motivation...

That could actually make things worse. If you only weigh once a month instead of looking at your overall trend, you could end up weighing in on a day where you are holding water due to ovulation, menstruation, or some other reason and it will appear as if you didn't lose weight at all or even gained weight. The best option is to weigh in daily and record your weights on a weight trending app such as Libra for Android or Happy Scale for iOS and you will see by your trend if you're actually losing weight.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Since the beginning of July I've been trying to lose weight by eating between 14000-1500 calories, but after losing two hard earned pounds, the scale isn't budging. I've been at 150 off and on for the past two weeks...

I'm not very active right now, but I am walking on the treadmill 30 minutes a day.

I don't want to go as low as 1200 b/c I hate feeling hungry, but my body isn't responding the way I thought it would when I reduced my calorie intake to 1400.

I'm a 40 y/o woman with 10-15 pounds to lose and I'm fairly muscular...

Keep with the 14-1500 and trust that the weight loss will really kick in, eventually? Or move the calorie intake down to (shudder) 1200?

I guess you don't want to give your height and weight

You lost 2lbs in 2 weeks so I personally don't think you need any help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

With only 10-15 pounds to lose, you're not going to see substantial progress. You will inch your way down there.

I do weigh myself every day and have gotten used to the inevitable fluctuations. Where are you in your menstrual cycle? I gain at ovulation and right before my TOM. Because of this (and because Lyle McDonald said to) I compare myself to last month, not last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6846ZTBu08k&index=4&list=PLUXvX9BaxgqG9yO5XWB3gA_QshvrrcjVr
  • sarahmbm
    Options
    This is incredibly helpful. Thanks for the link!