Healthy snacks?

Options
12346»

Replies

• fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    HarryPro wrote: »
    VintageFeline, but we agree that both things are Indulgences, yes? I am not angry in the least, people are free to enjoy what they will, I am only stating my opinion that Protien Bars are candy --- indulgences under the guise of "health food" (like fruit juice and low-fat-double-chocolate-muffins)

A lot of people, myself included, find themselves struggling with their weight because the human brain is a creative thing. If finds all sorts of ways to explain why you should eat that sugar-free cake.

Something like only 1 in 5 people are still at their desired weight 2-years post goal. I dont know why that is but I suspect it has something to do with lying to yourself about the candy bar youre eating.

Eat it, enjoy it, just call it what it is CANDY.

I dunno, I think 10 calories per gram of protein (quest) is a reasonable amount, and it is no longer candy at that point. Most of my sources of protein are way more calories per g than that. I don't consume them anymore, but characterizing them as candy seems a bit silly.
  • born_of_fire74
    born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I just recently discovered Whey Cool. It's high protein ice cream. 10g protein and 150cal per 125g. Hells to the YAH! I can make that fit in any normal day without feeling even the tiniest bit guilty.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I dont think 200 calories for a snack is that high.. i would often have a bit of greek youghurt and some fruit thats at least 200 calories.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    HarryPro wrote: »
    Yeah, Snickers bars have a lot of protien too.

It does? I have nothing against Snickers, but it appears to have 4 g of protein in a 220 calorie bar.

Quest bar has 20 g of protein in a 200 cal bar, and lots of fiber (Snickers has none to speak of in the entry I found). Now, personally, I think Snickers tastes better than Quest, and I don't use my calories on either, because neither are really worth it to me on a regular basis, but would I buy a Quest bar if stranded at an airport? I might, I find them pretty filling for the calories, and for me a Snickers is not. (If I am going for a sweet 200 cal indulgence and am not worried about macros, I'm going for ice cream, or maybe my new discovery Chocolove Extreme Dark Chocolate -- that one has only 3 g of protein for 180 cals, and it's main macro is fat (16 g), but not concerned about macros, right?).

I would agree with you that fooling yourself that something is "healthy" so the calories do not count is a bad idea. I've made low carb desserts (no sugar ice cream with avocado and heavy cream and greek yogurt plus vanilla and cardamom, for example, and a low carb rhubarb crisp with Swerve and walnut flour as an experiment, as a couple of examples, as well as a non low carb sweet potato and coconut milk pudding with no added sugar, various other things). I never pretended like they weren't high cal, they were, to varying degrees. You'd have to be a bit of a fool or just uninformed to assume otherwise, and to binge on them or eat them to the exclusion of less indulgent things, well, I think that's about a bad relationship with food, as someone else said.

You seem to assume that if people don't cut things out or say they are terrible, they aren't dieting right, and I think maybe you are putting your own issues onto other people.
    It people what to shoe horn a 200+ calorie "snack" into their day then great, but I dont think its wise for the dieter with weightloss in mind.

Why? Are you assuming dieting means super low calories?

Remember that 80 calories of the protein bar is protein. That saves up some room elsewhere for more whatever the diet needs.

Also, a lot of getting in adequate nutrients involves quite low cal foods, like vegetables. When I was really focused on losing it wasn't that unusual to end a day having eating lots of nutrient rich foods and yet be kind of low in calories and not really dying for, well, whatever it is you think is healthy. If I really enjoyed Quest bars and found that they didn't have the moderation difficulty that many have at first with some more traditional sweets, why not?

Heck, if I habitually grabbed a muffin for breakfast and wanted to try changing things up and wasn't yet ready to cook, what would be wrong with a protein bar and some berries? Why insist that everyone do it your way and change everything at once?

The bolded (protein bar plus berries) is a substantial portion of my breakfast every day... The other portion being made up of cheese, and coffee with milk. Decent macro split for my breakfast, since I prefer my most carb-heavy meal to be in the evening.

Back on topic, my current go-to snacks are either fruit with cheese or the below yogurt, berry & all bran bowl.

7qmt8ocrv6fv.jpg

Although tonight I'm going to have some mint Cadbury chocolate...
  • Shardaeeire3
    Shardaeeire3 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fiber one has good snacks under 100 calories and i also reach for a fudgsicle when craving choclate! Get the no sugar added and they are 40 calories per sicle! Enjoy
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Put me in the camp of, "if I'm craving it, I'll eat it in a reasonable portion, count it towards my calories, and move on with my life without any guilt whatsoever."

It's unreasonable for me to avoid the things I like forever. I've been able to meet all my weight loss goals while mixing in the things I love. If I have a draconian approach to weight loss I'll be prime for a snap back to old habits or worse.

Recalling a bit of wisdom from 40 year old virgin, "don't put the "kitten" on a pedestal". In this case let's not elevate certain foods to forbidden treasures.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I have a “junk food free area”. We have a dorm fridge in our laundry room that has greek yogurt, string cheese, hard boiled eggs, and bottled water in it. Next to it is a box that has about 100-150 calorie snacks in it - snack bags of pretzels and protein/fiber bars from www.healthsmartfoods.com.

Somebody I knew said he would get the plain yogurt, and add chocolate protein powder to it.

Also - my husband likes something called “wacky taco dip” - here’s the modified list of ingredients we use:
    Reduced Sodium taco mix
    Reduced fat cream cheese - 1 brick
    Enough plain greek yogurt to replace 16 ounces of sour cream
    Salsa
    Shredded Mexican Cheese (you can use the 2% if you want)

Mix together the taco mix, cream cheese, and greek yogurt. Then spread on a platter, then put a layer of Salsa on top of it. Then add the shredded cheese and any other things you might like - chopped tomatoes, jalapeños, olives, onions, whatever. Then serve with tortilla chips.

We actually also do one more thing: instead of putting it on a platter, My kids and husband will take a desert plate and make their own “serving plates” of it. That way they don’t go overboard on the dip or the chips. Using the reduced fat cream cheese and the greek yogurt really adds a lot of protein and reduces the fat enough that you can add “real cheese” and not have it kill the fat content.

• MickyCrispDipper
    MickyCrispDipper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, with chocolate protein powder, blueberries, mixed nuts and a bit of ground cinnamon, it tastes so good you'll think you're cheating!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, with chocolate protein powder, blueberries, mixed nuts and a bit of ground cinnamon, it tastes so good you'll think you're cheating!

Cheating on what?
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Skinny Pop Popcorn is my latest low-cal snack fix
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Dates stuffed with peanut butter is my favourite at the moment

holy *kitten* why have i never tried this

Don't even think about trying it. Dates+anything nuts=there goes my daily calorie allowance. Two of the hardest foods for me to stop eating combined together create a calorie blackhole.

To OP:
    For me personally, if I want chocolate or ice cream I have chocolate or ice cream. Nothing can scratch the same itch. If I don't allow myself those foods as an option I fail at dieting.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Halo Top :love:
  • MickyCrispDipper
    MickyCrispDipper Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Cheating on what?

Cheating on your calorie goal, I don't look at any food being good or bad, it's purely how much you have of one thing, technically as long as you hit your calorie deficit, you could lose weight eating donuts, it just wouldn't very nutritious, and you'd be hungry within minutes of eating the last donut. My point is, don't cut out the foods you love, otherwise after a while you'll go mad, just eat in moderation as long as it fits macros

• Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    40 calorie fudge pops or Yasso salted caramel frozen yogurt pops for 100. Both very good.
  • VolleyballAceAbby
    VolleyballAceAbby Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try banana ice cream! Freeze some bananas thoroughly. Blend them with some cocoa powder and some vanilla to make chocolate ice cream. (Sometimes it can be a bit soft, but you can put in the freezer for 30 minutes (stirring once in a while) and it will harden a bit.)