Personal trainer?

Options
2»

Replies

• Salasel
    Salasel Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a number of trainers and One stood out from the rest. She mixed up the workouts so we were not just lifting weights she pushed me beyond what I thought I could do each day but made sure I was still working in a safe manner. She helped me loose weight, build muscle and become more agile. The point is the ones that were not able to do that did not listen to my fitness goals and put me on a one size fits no one plan. The good one tailored her plan so I got crazy results and pushed beyond my original goals.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I work with a PT as often as I can afford it and she's brilliant. Firstly she understands my medical condition (EDS type 3/hypermobility/Aspergers) and my goals (lifting/running). Then she pushes me in a way I couldn't do for myself, never beyond my capabilities but beyond what I would have thought possible. When I started with her I was unable to do a lot of the exercises and she scaled them back for me, now after 7 months she's starting to scale them up to make them harder than the standard version. But the point is we clicked, and I like her slightly crazy, high intensity style and I also go to up to 7 of her classes a week.
  • rianneonamission
    rianneonamission Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I work with a PT and can honestly say that yes, a good one is worth it! The reason I went for it was to learn good technique, become more confident with machines and free weights, to learn to push myself, and to tailor exercises to me rather than rely on classes which are very much a 'one size fits all' set up and thus not as beneficial.
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    You do get what you pay for. Mine has been amazing.
    If your looking for the best ones, they are going to have at minimum:
    A bachelor's degree in kinesiology, exercize science and/or physical education.
    National accredited by the American College of Sports Medicine or other equally rigorous body (ACSM) is pretty much the industry gold standard.

Also look for someone that specializes in what you want. Many personal trainers are also licensed physical therapists, so they know how to work with injuries and limitations. If you have an injury or condition that limits you, find someone that is a physical therapist and a trainer.
  • Bluetail6
    Bluetail6 Posts: 2,874 Member
    Options
    Great advice ^^
  • HOTTTAJ
    HOTTTAJ Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love mine!!! Go once a week. $20.00 each for one hour for my sister and me. I dread going - manage to get through the hour without keeling over - and walk out feeling like Superman. Best hour of my week. Feel really fortunate to have found him. :)

Geeze, I WISH I could find a trainer that reasonable....they are out of my price range where I live....
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I had a personal trainer about 4 years ago. Well worth the money. I purchased a package of sessions, but it wasn't necessary to go every week. He gave me exercises I was to work on for a couple of weeks, then I would meet with him again and he sometimes would change my routine, up my weights, etc.