working out & eating well still can't loose 5lbs- why?

Options
13»

Replies

• wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    wmd1979 wrote: »
    treacych wrote: »
    someone may have suggested this already but right off the bat I would guess that you've hit a plateau. Congrats on losing 25lbs already though! That's amazing!! Sometimes our bodies get used our current routines and tend to start "maintaining" because it isn't challenging anymore.
    Try switching things up though. Find new workouts to try, switch up what you do for cardio, and definitely try some new recipes.

This could not be more wrong. Your body does not just get used to exercise and decide to stop losing weight. A "plateau" is because there is no longer a calorie deficit, or because your body is retaining water. A lot of people don't realize that they should be recalculating their calorie goals every so often as they lose weight because they won't be burning as many calories at a lower weight.

As you become more efficient with an exercise it can burn fewer calories, additionally, after 25 lbs there is the possibility of some metabolic adaptation.

You're mostly right, but there are notable exceptions.

My point is as long as there is still a calorie deficit, you will still continue to lose weight. A lot of times what people perceive to be a plateau is not really a plateau, but instead they no longer are eating at a deficit. The body will not just decide to stop losing weight in a deficit, the weight loss just may not be linear like one might expect.

The point is that what is calculated to be a deficit may no longer be a deficit.

Take for example the graduates of "the biggest loser" Due to metabolic damage from Yo Yo and Prolonged VLCD their actual maintenance is up to 1000 calories a day lower than their calculated maintenance.

We are saying the same thing.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    someone may have suggested this already but right off the bat I would guess that you've hit a plateau. Congrats on losing 25lbs already though! That's amazing!! Sometimes our bodies get used our current routines and tend to start "maintaining" because it isn't challenging anymore.
    Try switching things up though. Find new workouts to try, switch up what you do for cardio, and definitely try some new recipes.

This could not be more wrong. Your body does not just get used to exercise and decide to stop losing weight. A "plateau" is because there is no longer a calorie deficit, or because your body is retaining water. A lot of people don't realize that they should be recalculating their calorie goals every so often as they lose weight because they won't be burning as many calories at a lower weight.

As you become more efficient with an exercise it can burn fewer calories, additionally, after 25 lbs there is the possibility of some metabolic adaptation.

My point is as long as there is still a calorie deficit, you will still continue to lose weight. A lot of times what people perceive to be a plateau is not really a plateau, but instead they no longer are eating at a deficit. The body will not just decide to stop losing weight in a deficit, the weight loss just may not be linear like one might expect.

The point is that what is calculated to be a deficit may no longer be a deficit.

Take for example the graduates of "the biggest loser" Due to metabolic damage from Yo Yo and Prolonged VLCD their actual maintenance is up to 1000 calories a day lower than their calculated maintenance.

NO, we aren't. You're saying that you can rely on a calculated estimate, I'm pointing out that the calculated deficit may not be a deficit.
  • stanmann571
    Options

NO, we aren't. You're saying that you can rely on a calculated estimate, I'm pointing out that the calculated deficit may not be a deficit.

A 200 lb biggest loser graduate may maintain at 1600 instead of the calculated 2200 for a 200 lb 5'8" man
  • wmd1979
    Options

No, that is not what I am saying either. Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said that people think they hit a plateau because their calculated estimate is wrong and they are not in a deficit and actually in maintenance.
  • stanmann571
    Options

No, that is not what I am saying either. Go back and re-read what I wrote. I said that people think they hit a plateau because their calculated estimate is wrong and they are not in a deficit and actually in maintenance.

SO HOW DO YOU CALCULATE HOW MUCH ADDITIONAL DEFICIT IS REQUIRED DUE TO METABOLIC DAMAGE?
  • wmd1979
    Options

A 200 lb biggest loser graduate may maintain at 1600 instead of the calculated 2200 for a 200 lb 5'8" man

Cool. So tell me how that disproves any of what I said. I said that the weight loss would not be because of a plateau but because there is not a calorie deficit. If your biggest loser graduate had incorrectly calculated 1600 as a deficit then they wouldn't lose weight because they are actually in maintenance.
  • stanmann571
    Options

That's exactly what you said.
  • stanmann571
    Options

For the record, the correct course of action is to go to maintenance for several weeks or months.

NOT to "recalculate deficit"
  • wmd1979
    Options

Wow, now you are arguing just to argue. I clearly said there is no longer a deficit.

» show previous quotes

Really? It looks pretty clear to me that I said they were no longer in a deficit. It looks to me like you are arguing just to argue now.
  • wmd1979
    Options

For the record, the correct course of action is to go to maintenance for several weeks or months.

NOT to "recalculate deficit"

Ok, so wait...in your opinion, you think the best course of action for someone who is trying to correct a plateau is to go to maintenance? The reason they are in a plateau is because they are in maintenance. It's cool though, I am not going to continue to argue about something that we initially agreed on. Do you always have to try to prove that you know more than everyone else, because you clearly don't?
  • stanmann571
    Options

Wow, now you are arguing just to argue. I clearly said there is no longer a deficit.

» show previous quotes

Really? It looks pretty clear to me that I said they were no longer in a deficit. It looks to me like you are arguing just to argue now.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1077746/starvation-mode-adaptive-thermogenesis-and-weight-loss/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10582206/impact-of-extreme-obesity-on-tdee
  • wmd1979
    Options

SO HOW DO YOU CALCULATE HOW MUCH ADDITIONAL DEFICIT IS REQUIRED DUE TO METABOLIC DAMAGE?

Wait, so now all of the sudden you are saying OP has metabolic damage? The OP states they have lost 25lbs and are all of the sudden at a plateau. I was responding to their situation since they asked the question. You were the one who all of the sudden started talking about the biggest loser and all that when it clearly doesn't apply to the original post. In the case of OP, since they are no longer losing weight and in maintenance, I would adjust the deficit according to their specific weight loss goals. Now obviously there are exceptions to this. If they are already at 1200 calories a day then I would not suggest going to 700, because that is a different issue probably related to tracking calories.
  • stanmann571
    Options

Wait, so now all of the sudden you are saying OP has metabolic damage? The OP states they have lost 25lbs and are all of the sudden at a plateau. I was responding to their situation since they asked the question. You were the one who all of the sudden started talking about the biggest loser and all that when it clearly doesn't apply to the original post. In the case of OP, since they are no longer losing weight and in maintenance, I would adjust the deficit according to their specific weight loss goals. Now obviously there are exceptions to this. If they are already at 1200 calories a day then I would not suggest going to 700, because that is a different issue probably related to tracking calories.

25 lbs or 4-6 months is long enough for metabolic damage to accumulate. fortunately only a 2-3 week diet break is required.

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    No way in h*ll you put on 5lbs of muscle, eating ,1200. ! Just not possible.. First I believe you ate more than 1200 calories (everyone tends to underestimate how much we eat). If it's not that, it's a normal water weight fluctuation. I don't know how tall you are, current weight, but 1200 is very low for someone doing alot of excersise. Im small 5'4", 115 lbs and I consume 1500, doing alot less workout. You may need to increase a bit, sometimes that break stalls.
  • beatrizmaggio
    beatrizmaggio Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies!
  • beatrizmaggio
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    No way in h*ll you put on 5lbs of muscle, eating ,1200. ! Just not possible.. First I believe you ate more than 1200 calories (everyone tends to underestimate how much we eat). If it's not that, it's a normal water weight fluctuation. I don't know how tall you are, current weight, but 1200 is very low for someone doing alot of excersise. Im small 5'4", 115 lbs and I consume 1500, doing alot less workout. You may need to increase a bit, sometimes that break stalls.

• beatrizmaggio
    Options
    I'll try that and see how it goes