Are gluten and dairy unhealthy?

Options
I'd mentioned to my dad that I wanted to go grocery shopping when I got my paycheck. He said I should learn the healthiest things to eat. I said I thought healthy eating meant protein, complex carbs, fruits and veggies. He said oatmeal and whole wheat were unhealthy due to gluten, and dairy was also bad. Is that true? I'm confused.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    They're unhealthy for some people, but not for everyone
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do want to go to school to be a dietitian. When I read or hear stuff, though, I don't know what to believe. It would make things a bit harder if gluten was forbidden. My dad still eats it, but says he's going to change the way he eats in the near future, but that it will be a big transition. We're both overweight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Gluten is bad if you have celiac, and dairy can be bad if you are lactose intolerant or have some kind of allergy. Lactose intolerance is common, but how common depends on ethnic background, for example it's quite uncommon among those whose ancestry is from Northern and Western Europe (and a variety of other places).

So no, it's not generally "bad." ;-)

[Edit: I wrote a bunch of extra stuff I decided not to post and see I totally cross posted, oh well!)
  • imanibelle
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I will check the articles out.
  • imanibelle
    edited July 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Oats contain avenin and not gluten.

Sorry but your Dad really hasn't got a clue.

I didn't know that. :/ Feel foolish now. Thanks for the info, though!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »
    I do want to go to school to be a dietitian. When I read or hear stuff, though, I don't know what to believe. It would make things a bit harder if gluten was forbidden. My dad still eats it, but says he's going to change the way he eats in the near future, but that it will be a big transition. We're both overweight.

Good on you.
    Would recommend reading Alan Aragon - really knows his stuff but puts it across in a really accessible way.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Agree that Alan Aragon is a great source.

A book I'd recommend as a good starting point and fun read is Matt Fitzgerald, Diet Cults.

For a pretty sensible approach to dieting I think Fat Loss Happens on Monday is worth looking at.
  • imanibelle
    edited July 2017
    Options
    imanibelle wrote: »

Good on you.
    Would recommend reading Alan Aragon - really knows his stuff but puts it across in a really accessible way.

Thank you!!! I will research him.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Oats contain avenin and not gluten.

Sorry but your Dad really hasn't got a clue.

While pats are gluten free, most are cross contaminated and not suitable for people who have celiacs.

I have an actual oat allergy, so even GF oats are out. :-(
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Only if you are allergic. Otherwise, no.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned oats don't have gluten. From my understanding oats often have significant cross contamination with wheat products/gluten. If you truly have a gluten allergy or sensitivity, oats might not be the best idea. I love oats!
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned oats don't have gluten. From my understanding oats often have significant cross contamination with wheat products/gluten. If you truly have a gluten allergy or sensitivity, oats might not be the best idea. I love oats!

You can get gluten free oats.

To be gluten free, oats need to be grown on dedicated fields and processed on dedicated equipment.

Cross contamination happens because oats are often grown in rotation with gluten containing crops and volunteers from previous year's harvest pop up in the oat crops. The oats are also often processed on equipment shared with gluten containing grains.

I have celiac disease and can comfortably eat certified gluten free oats, thankfully!
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Only if you have celiac disease, lactose intolerance or some kind of allergy to them, otherwise no.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

To be gluten free, oats need to be grown on dedicated fields and processed on dedicated equipment.

Cross contamination happens because oats are often grown in rotation with gluten containing crops and volunteers from previous year's harvest pop up in the oat crops. The oats are also often processed on equipment shared with gluten containing grains.

I have celiac disease and can comfortably eat certified gluten free oats, thankfully!

However, to be certified GF, in the US, they only have to test under 220ppm for gluten containing grains. So they am be certified GF and contain 219ppm. If you are extremely sensitive, or allergic, they can still trigger a response.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

However, to be certified GF, in the US, they only have to test under 220ppm for gluten containing grains. So they am be certified GF and contain 219ppm. If you are extremely sensitive, or allergic, they can still trigger a response.

The FDA regulation is for 20ppm, not 220ppm.

Yes, I am aware that some people can still react to even that small amount.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Gluten is unhealthy for people with Celiac desease. It is not unhealthy for the general population. Lactose is fine unless you have Lactose intolerance.
    I know this has been stated above already but so many people seem to not know this that I want to reiterate.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Sans health conditions, no.

Neither is required to maintain a healthy diet, however.