ianmark55 Posts: 13 Member
Hi all,

has anyone got any Kangaroo recipes?

Thank you, Ian

Replies

• Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    What sort of roo do you have? (Mince, steak, loins)
  • candirose69
    candirose69 Posts: 149
    Options
    Hello!

I dont like the steaks for the simple fact that they have to be rare or they are chewy and I dont like rare steak.

The mince is fantastic in lasagne and chile, or anything that has strong flavors as the meat is quite gamey. The smell of it cooking is a bit off putting but once it's cooked up with red wine and tomatoes you would barely be able to tell the difference!!
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you really shouldn't overcook kangaroo.

I buy the steaks and cool them in the slow cooker with Moroccan spice and vine tomatoes. To die for.
  • tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you have roo mince, making burgers is a good idea. I also use as a substitute for beef in spag bol.

Steak: good to dice up and use in a stew or casserole. I'm happy to eat roo steak as steak though, but then I do like my meat rare. Others are correct in saying it shouldn't be overcooked (unless slow cooking it), otherwise it's as tough as rubber.
  • ianmark55
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help.

I have both Mince, steak,(fillet ) - the steak I cook for 3 mins each side then wrap in foil & let it rest this way I find it is never
    over cooked!

I love Kangaroo as it is so low in fat.

Thank you,Ian
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I want to try kangaroo! What's it like? Is it tough? What is the closest meat you can compare it too? Do they have kangaroo farms like cow farms or do you hunt them in the wild? Nevermind, I'll google all this stuff. I totally forgot that people ate kangaroo! That, along with snake, are the two exotic (at least exotic to me) meats that I was really interested in trying.
  • ianmark55
    Options
  • The_Fat_Friend
    The_Fat_Friend Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump for the link! Have some mince in my freezer I want to use!