Help! What to do at the gym?

Options
I havent been to the gym a whole lot in my life and to be honest dont know where to start?
What machines are the best for toning different areas? What machines burn alot of calories? What do you do?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Ask your gym for an orientation to the machines.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals or what you want to do. If you like cardio or classes, do those. If you want to get in to resistance training and you have no idea about what to do , I'd get a few training sessions so someone can show you through some exercises, and teach you how to use correct form when lifting.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    look into a program like stronglifts, or nrolfw, or strong curves.
  • edlanglais5
    edlanglais5 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Ask the gym staff for direction. It's their job. At least one personal training session to start you in the right direction won't hurt either. Many gyms offer the first session free of charge.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I need to lose a lot of weight so I'm just doing cardio for now. I get on elliptical machine, it's low impact and I burn 500-600 calories per 60mn (30mn in morning, 30 mn at night) I also took up spinning three days a week and burn 450 per class. The gym can assist you in learning about all the stuff they had. Go in and ask for a run down of all they have and how to use it