Bathroom scales are wrong

Options
Hey guys. My bathroom scales will never be right.
I always put my 5kg weight on it to check and it always says 5.1kg
How much less would i actually weigh because of this? I just weighed myself and so happy have lost weight. It says 73.1kg

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! Actually got it to a spot where it said 5kgm and im only 72.5 ! What a happy day!
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I stepped on my scale five times this morning. It went from 228.9, then to 229.0 then 229.1 then 229.3 then 229.0. All while it was sitting in the same place, not moved at all. The overall trend week to week or month to month are what matters most.
  • Sloth2016
    Sloth2016 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Just think, if we could move the body weight scale a little further, how much we could lose or gain :smile:

"YOUR WEIGHT ON OTHER WORLDS": https://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/weight/

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    How much less would i actually weigh because of this? I just weighed myself and so happy have lost weight. It says 73.1kg

73kg?
  • sophie9492015
    Options

73kg?

73kg?

Nope. It was 72.5 so quite a bit off. I managed to get it in a position that showed 5kg weight correctly.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Considering that you will get a different reading just by weighing at different times I don't think a few hundred grams is enough to worry about.
    Considering that you will get a different reading just by weighing at different times I don't think a few hundred grams is enough to worry about.

Oh okay.. :(
    .6 kg less makes me happy though hehe
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    I dont think so, cause
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Also your 5kg weight could really be 5.1

I think its the scales because when you move them around the room it shows different weight
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I dont think so, cause

I think its the scales because when you move them around the room it shows different weight

It could be your floors are not completely level.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I dont think so, cause

It could be your floors are not completely level.

Ohhh! I'll try downstairs next time!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

73kg?

73kg?

Nope. It was 72.5 so quite a bit off. I managed to get it in a position that showed 5kg weight correctly.

At the original spot where the weight was 5.1, and you weighed 73.1, if you assume the dumbell was accurately 5kg, then you'd be 73 is my guess. At a different spot it's completely different. Put the scale in a place, leave it there, and always weigh there. You could try multiple scales in different spots and they'd give you different weights...
  • SeikoMonster
    SeikoMonster Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Put the scale in one spot. Dont move it at all ever. Weight the same time/and clothing (if any) every day.
    Weigh at least 2 times in a row just to check. If you get drastically different numbers, weigh a third and fourth time till you get some "consistency".
    You'll get a feel for that particular scale and how it reads.
  • rickdkitson
    rickdkitson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only look at the seven and 30 day moving averages. (The average of the last 7 or 30 days, next day drop the oldest and recalculate the new average with that day’s numbers. A simple spreadsheet makes it easy to do so.)

This eliminates the noise and allows you to see the trend much better. There will always be some noise, how hydrated you are that day, when you had your last bowel movement, what time you had supper compared to the normal supper time, did you sleep in a hotter room than normal and sweat more that night etc.

If you have a nice downward trend on your 7 and 30 day moving averages then you are doing OK.

Bathroom scales will always be a little off, you are buying a relatively low-cost spring operated mechanism. Unless you have an actual medical quality triple beam balance scale, you will always have inaccuracies. Even then it needs to be set up correctly and adjusted and leveled for the location.

When I weigh a suitcase for a trip, the airline scales are usually 5 to 10 % higher. In multiple airline flights I can get 5% variations with the same unchanged suitcase on different airlines. LOL

Don’t worry about what the number says, the trend is your friend.
  • sophie9492015
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank you! I might give this a go. Currently just weighing once a week because i feel like its more exciting that way hahahah