Anyone else trying to be sober on their fitness journey?

Options

Replies

• Igotthe_keyz
    Igotthe_keyz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    Not alcohol but I finalllyyyyyyy managed to quit smoking. I gave my ma a hundit and told her to deduct from it everytime I slipped and now I haven't touched a cigarette for 2 months!

I used to gasp for air after climbing one flight of stairs and now I can run up 3 no problem (:

Good job and that was a great idea!

• korykory
    korykory Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have been sober for 2 months. Crashed my motorcycle and broke my knee eye opener for me lol
  • ascheidexiv
    ascheidexiv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never was really a heavy drinker, but I'm pretty nerdy about wine and like to try all different varieties. I usually will buy a bottle of wine once a month and sip on it over the course of a few days. I have given up beer on my diet, but that's because I'm avoiding wheat entirely. I still will have a glass of wine but no more than one. And I was never much of a liquor girl. :-)
  • ascheidexiv
    ascheidexiv Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It's been two weeks since I quit. Although it's been quite challenging, loving the results. Anyone else going through the same thing? If so, what changes do you see after quitting alcohol and what keeps you motivated to stay sober.

So how heavy of a drinker were you? I have been sober since I signed up 12 days ago. Not even a single drink, which has been difficult as I'm an insomniac and have pretty much relied on a pint of vodka to get to sleep every night for pretty much the last 10 years.

That said, I have lost roughly a pound every day since I quit dinking. I'm sure my new habits of running and tracking calories (<1200/day) are a big factor as well, but I'm afraid that even a single shot will derail the progress.

Seems like each day I go without drinking, the less I feel like breaking the streak. Quitting smoking worked the same way for me... Don't want to reset the "days without" counter to 0.

You are amazing!
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    korykory wrote: »
    I have been sober for 2 months. Crashed my motorcycle and broke my knee eye opener for me lol

Ahahaha I had to re-evaluate my (other) smoking habit because I crashed my moped straight into a tree (by straight, I mean like straiiiggghhhttt) in broad daylight with my best friend in the back seat slightly over a year ago. Not my proudest moment ><
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    bodwomon wrote: »
    Not alcohol but I finalllyyyyyyy managed to quit smoking. I gave my ma a hundit and told her to deduct from it everytime I slipped and now I haven't touched a cigarette for 2 months!

I used to gasp for air after climbing one flight of stairs and now I can run up 3 no problem (:

Good job and that was a great idea!

Thank you! Seeing that it took me 7 years to finally quit and at least twice as many attempts, I can say that addiction is a really horrifying thing. I had to avoid most social activities for 2 months as 90% of my friends are heavy smokers and in the process probably inadvertently drove a wedge between some friends and I. But honestly, it's all worth it in the long run.

I'm not sure if this helps with anyone, but starting my nicotine quitting journey at the same time as my getting lean journey was actually super helpful. Every time I found myself craving a cigarette, I'd do some yoga, or if I'm outside, I'd take a walk (it was a bit bizarre to just leave a dinner halfway but I warned my friends of that possibility beforehand).

I'm just extremely grateful that I am severely allergic to alcohol otherwise I'm sure I'd have struggles with alcohol too. Best of luck to everybody and just know that you are so strong for having the courage to even start this process in the first place!
  • Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should try harder. :/
  • bljohnson36
    bljohnson36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking offically 5 years ago. I slipped in 2014 for 3 months while homeless at a pack of week and haven't smoked again but singles here in there but nothing at all in over a year. Its was difficult being in a family of smokers. Down to my grandparents. I just kept saying no im good and I really am.A 16 year habit and its gone. Its been even longer since I've been sober. I had my first drink in years last Tuesday night. 2 drinks max was my limit. In the past i would drink... to be honest i would lose count in a night... drinking was never really an issue because i would have a night like that but 7, 8 months would pass by with no drinks at all.
    I noticed someone said "i drink when im bored". I think for me in this part of my life as i approach 30 Im being more intentionally in what i do thru out my day and into my body these days. Remember we are human so we slip and we need to know that's ok. On those we just need to ask for Grace and for a better tomorrow.
    Continued success and support on your fitness journey
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I quit drinking as a New Year's resolution (kinda). My best friend was giving up sugar (and that wasn't going to happen for me) and I wanted to support her by giving up something so I chose alcohol. It's been 7 months...almost 8. Haven't noticed a change in weight since I always counted the calories but I'm not as puffy. You can see my abs! I have abs! Pretty amazing. Don't miss the drinking although maybe if I had a more active social life I'd care, but I doubt it since I'm pretty stoked on the abs.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hey good to see others here! I lost a lot this month and the biggest change was that I mostly quit drinking. Add me for support!
  • baeya
    baeya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    July 17, 2017 was my 1 year anniversary of no alcohol. I quit smoking a few months before that. My social drinking was slowly turning into abusive drinking over the last three years that I drank. After a very fast divorce, after 40 years of marriage, I hit my rock bottom. I opened my eyes and will never drink any kind of alcohol ever again.
  • brittneynathan0579
    brittneynathan0579 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Girl, alcohol is why I gained so much weight! I'm right there with you. So happy I saw this!
  • tg16nullity
    tg16nullity Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    So how are all the recent quitters doing? I've still not had a drink in the 16 days I've been on MFP... And this is despite having a full pint of Vodka on the counter to tempt me. :D heck, I even went to a company meeting/retreat with an open bar and only ordered water. (Yes, I'm a masochist)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I never was really a heavy drinker, but I'm pretty nerdy about wine and like to try all different varieties. I usually will buy a bottle of wine once a month and sip on it over the course of a few days. I have given up beer on my diet, but that's because I'm avoiding wheat entirely. I still will have a glass of wine but no more than one. And I was never much of a liquor girl. :-)

Same here, but instead of wine my nerd-about drink is craft beer. I like trying new varieties and going to micropubs and brewery tours.

Before MFP, I was still not a heavy drinker but I liked liquor, mainly shots. I drank to get trashed until I was about 35 and realized OH some people like the taste and are just slightly buzzed?? haha I like that now, but still don't drink often in my opinion. Maybe six beers a month, on average.

The calories have a lot to do with it, too. I try to log alcohol pretty accurately and fit it into my diet the same way I fit in cupcakes or ice cream. I have a sweet tooth, so there is usually a decision and the slice of homemade pie will win over two glasses of wine every time...

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Definitely not me. Drinking beer while posting this, actually.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    baeya wrote: »
    July 17, 2017 was my 1 year anniversary of no alcohol. I quit smoking a few months before that. My social drinking was slowly turning into abusive drinking over the last three years that I drank. After a very fast divorce, after 40 years of marriage, I hit my rock bottom. I opened my eyes and will never drink any kind of alcohol ever again.

We almost have the same anniversary of no alcohol! The last time I ever drank alcohol was July 18th 2016 and it was the best decision of my life, it feels so good in so many different ways! Congratulations on the recent anniversary what a huge milestone :smile:
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Right here- alcohol is turning out to be much harder to give up than I expected. It needs to go though. It's not really the alcohol, it's the copious amounts of food I shovel into my mouth afterwards. Which is how I gained a lot of weight. Sigh.. Still trying to give it up. Glad to see that I'm not alone in that. :)