Most accuracte way to calculate walking calories.

Options
Somebody please help!
I walk all day at work but very slowly. I normally walk about 3-5kms over 6 hours
Im having so much trouble trying to find out how many calories im burning. Im using map my walk but not sure if thats right and have just tried several online calculators and they all have different results.
How do i calculate this?
If it helps im 73 kg

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Change your activity setting, dont log work as exercise.

Or get a fitness band
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    If you have your daily activity level set at sedentary, change it to light activity. That should cover the amount of walking you are doing. (About 7500 steps)

Log with that setting for a month, then adjust up or down according to your rate of loss.

Add purposful exercise seperately.

Cheers, h.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Thanks great idea, will do!
  • sophie9492015
    edited July 2017
    Options
    If you have your daily activity level set at sedentary, change it to light activity. That should cover the amount of walking you are doing. (About 7500 steps)

Log with that setting for a month, then adjust up or down according to your rate of loss.

Cheers, h.

Ah. I have it set as active, is that wrong?
  • gcibsthom
    gcibsthom Posts: 30,137 Member
    Options
    Also...you can do it manually. You can google calculating walking calories burned and it will show you how to arrive at a constant multiplier for your height and weight. For me, multiplied the number of steps times 0.055 and it gives me the number of calories burned. Fitbit also converts it ...sometimes...but it comes up with the same answers I do as manually...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    A rule of thumb I use: half of my weight in kg in calories for every kilometer.

So in your case that would be 36.5 net calories per kilometer or 110-182 eat-back calories for 3-5 km.

Calculating walking calories is kind of less precise than running because walking speed affects economy much more, but I find the rule above sufficient for a quick calculation.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    Thank you guys!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For your purposes since you mentioned random day to day walking, the rule above is sufficiently precise. It doesn't really start to break apart until you venture into very fast paced walking, like speeds above 6 km/h.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    gcibsthom wrote: »
    Also...you can do it manually. You can google calculating walking calories burned and it will show you how to arrive at a constant multiplier for your height and weight. For me, multiplied the number of steps times 0.055 and it gives me the number of calories burned. Fitbit also converts it ...sometimes...but it comes up with the same answers I do as manually...

Does it equal the same as below half your weight in kg to calories? Cause that sounds alot easier!
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Here is an article often used for walking and running calorie burns....

runnersworld.com/weight-loss/how-many-calories-are-you-really-burning

...and here is the abstract of the study that they got the numbers from...

https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15570150

Use the appropriate method to convert to KMs or KGs if desired, but the numbers they give should be reasonably solid for most people.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options

Unless you are doing a lot of lifting and carrying of reasonably heavy stuff, or pushing/pulling a heavy-ish load I would say light activity not active, which your steps don't warrant.

Cheers, h.

Ah. I have it set as active, is that wrong?

• sophie9492015
    Options
    Thanks guys!