Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Getting started with weight loss

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I started using the app and logging my meals and excercises on July 2nd. So it has been about 3 weeks. I have a question though, how long after you started did it take for you all to start actually seeing the weight drop and the number on scale go down. I know that we are supposed to do this to help ourselves feel better, it's a lifestyle change, don't worry about the numbers...I get all that but after 3 weeks of hard work and dedication I thought I would've at least lost one pound but I'm still at the same weight. I do feel good but I also want to look good. So if anyone has any advice for beginners that would be great! How long did it take until you saw that first pound drop?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    edited July 2017
    Kirsten. Need your stats. Height weight and goal weight. How accurate is your calorie counting? Cups, spoons and a food scale? Eyeballing amounts?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It took me three weeks. But it was in that third week that I started using a food scale, so that was what made the difference.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    2 months. I was trying to lose 10-15 lbs but more importantly, I wanted to lose fat. Started doing Couch 25K 2-3 times a week, lifting weights 2-3 times a week, and watching diet (eating at a slight deficit to preserve muscle)--aiming for 30% protein and fat and 40% carbs. At first I gained a few pounds, but I knew that would probably happen with the weight lifting. It's been a little over a year. I'm down 10lbs, but more importantly, I lost 4 inches in my waist and 3 inches off my hips. The more overweight someone is, the faster they'll probably see results if they make some fundamental changes in diet and exercise. But generally, it's a slow process. And if you are consistent and persistent, you will see results.

The scale is the least important tool I use to measure my progress. But if I had only relied on this in the beginning, I would have gotten very discouraged as well.
  • kirstencustis1111
    kirstencustis1111 Posts: 4 Member
    @Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink I am about 5'4 and I weigh 338lbs. My goal weight is 200lbs for now, so losing about 140lbs. I eat about 2,170 calories a day. We do have a good scale and measure everything. My boyfriend came up with our meal plan based off of what he learned when he went to a nutrition camp for the military.
  • kirstencustis1111
    @candicew125 and @malibu927 thank you for sharing
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    i had a large drop in water weight the first week (7lbs, i was a walking water balloon!) after that its been a fairly steady 1-2lbs every week but sometimes it will hover at a weight and then drop by 4lbs after 2 weeks. it's weird.

the smaller you are the longer it will take to see changes though,so don't fret too much, just stick to your calories

helpful tip I use to lose it a little faster(set for 1.5/week but losing at 2~), i set all my activity at the slowest levels. example: i've timed myself and walk a little more than a KM in 12.5minutes, but i always log it at the slow 18min/km in MFP. this way if i do eat into my exercise cals a little bit i'm not risking going above what i actually burned and helps create a bigger deficit
    also food scale is my new best friend, it really doesn't take much longer (cut up, put in scale, write number, move on) but gives the accuracy i need to ensure i stay on track (i got mine for like $5, it's not digital but easy to read and goes up to 400grams)
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Just log every thing you eat. Stay on deficit and you'll be fine
    Try to be a little conservative on the exercise calories.
    After I lost about 20 lbs I was stuck there for maybe another 3 week, but during those 3 week I could feel my body changing.

Don't forget to fit foods you like into your diet.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    I actually spent several months logging foods before I started cutting back on calories. The biggest takeaway from my experience and that I've seen here on the forums is that it takes time to get your logging accurate, and it's never going to be perfect. Give yourself time - this is a marathon, not a sprint. You're in early days, so I'd suggest concentrating on learning how to calorie count (lots of good advice here) and start slowly adjusting your diet and exercise patterns. Remember that the changes that stick are the ones you can live with for the rest of your life, so even if you're impatient and want to go all out right away, stastically crash diets only lead to more weight gain in the long run.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,169 Member
    Have you put your stats and goals into MFP? You might get a lower calorie goal than the 2,170 your boyfriend recommended. If you're fairly sedentary compared to a man training in boot camp, that could help explain why you haven't seen any change on the scale. I personally would gain weight at that level of intake. Anyway, check it out and see what you get. Good luck!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Have you put your stats and goals into MFP? You might get a lower calorie goal than the 2,170 your boyfriend recommended. If you're fairly sedentary compared to a man training in boot camp, that could help explain why you haven't seen any change on the scale. I personally would gain weight at that level of intake. Anyway, check it out and see what you get. Good luck!

She says she weighs over 300lbs right now, so I bet she's fine losing at 2170 so long as she's accurately measuring. I went from 208 to 190 on about 2200/day and only modest exercise.
  • kirstencustis1111
    I am currently eating a bacon (2 slices), and egg (2 scrambled) on wheat toast sandwich for breakfast, grilled chicken breast and brown rice for lunch and salmon, roasted potatoes and broccoli for dinner. For snacks I'll occasionally have Special K or peanut butter sandwich. I have been trying to workout at the gym about 3 to 4x a week. At the gym I do cardio and a little weight training- stationary bike for 25min and strength weight training for 20min. The 2,170 calorie count came from MFP based on my current weight and goals.