Calories burned in weightliftint

Options
2»

Replies

• cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    The numbers on my Polar heart rate monitor (with chest strap) are as low as I'd expect them to be - anything from below 100 to nearly 200 for a 35-40 min session. I strain and I sweat and I work damn hard, but it's not as heart pumping as cardio, so I wouldn't expect a heart rate monitor to give me too much credit.

I track my training volume as well (reps multiplied by weight), but never bothered to do the range calculation to convert it in to energy expenditure!
    I have a physics degree, I could totally do the sums if I could be bothered, but...
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    You may find this vid informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GZIWLArMk

I usually assume about 4-6 calories per min.
    So if I lift for 1.5 hours, 90 min...360 - 540 calories.
    And my lifting sessions usually leave me sweating buckets

I just got a Fitbit Charge 2 today, so I am curious to see tomorrow what it says.

It may be curious to see the number, but it still will be no more accurate than a random number you make up.

Actually, the number you cite that you use for your sessions is as accurate as you can get (for you).

The video was frustrating. By bro standards, it actually appeared fairly reasonable and "sciency". But it was all wrong. Hard to believe the little minion is getting a Masters degree.

One example: when discussing the second research study, he claimed that the results showed an increase in BMR of 200-300 calories a day. I looked up the study and the number was 73. And the authors stated "there was wide variability between individuals, which can be partially accounted for by changes in FFM and thyroid hormones". Which gets back to the whole reason why weight training calories are so difficult to quantify.

That is why I opt to go for a lower number of calories burned during my sessions.
    I think they stated in one of the lowest categories, it was ~13 calories per min.
    I opt to go with less, as I assume that is going to be far more accurate, because we know that in order to maintain muscle it is around 6 calories, per pound of muscle I believe?
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    I worked back today, heavy session.
    1hr 15min
    My fitbit Charge 2 puts me at 560 calories, so about 7.4 calories / min.
    So I am good with that number
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    I don't even bother logging my lifting under cardio to get a calorie count. I only eat back 1/2 of my cardio calories.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    You may find this vid informative.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37GZIWLArMk

I usually assume about 4-6 calories per min.
    So if I lift for 1.5 hours, 90 min...360 - 540 calories.
    And my lifting sessions usually leave me sweating buckets

I just got a Fitbit Charge 2 today, so I am curious to see tomorrow what it says.

It may be curious to see the number, but it still will be no more accurate than a random number you make up.

Actually, the number you cite that you use for your sessions is as accurate as you can get (for you).

The video was frustrating. By bro standards, it actually appeared fairly reasonable and "sciency". But it was all wrong. Hard to believe the little minion is getting a Masters degree.

One example: when discussing the second research study, he claimed that the results showed an increase in BMR of 200-300 calories a day. I looked up the study and the number was 73. And the authors stated "there was wide variability between individuals, which can be partially accounted for by changes in FFM and thyroid hormones". Which gets back to the whole reason why weight training calories are so difficult to quantify.

That is why I opt to go for a lower number of calories burned during my sessions.
    I think they stated in one of the lowest categories, it was ~13 calories per min.
    I opt to go with less, as I assume that is going to be far more accurate, because we know that in order to maintain muscle it is around 6 calories, per pound of muscle I believe?

I didn't even mention that part of the video because those are just fantasy numbers.