Things that are holding me back from loosing weight and what to do?

Options
1235»

Replies

• Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Gretchen Rubin is an author who has a great book about habits called "Better than Before". It's a great easy read with some simple ideas for forming new habits. She also discusses the difference between abstainers and moderators. Some people can't have just a little bit of treat foods, alcohol, etc. or they'll go off the rails (abstainer). Others need to have some to deter them from going off the rails. I found that info so helpful to determine what I need to do to be successful. I put some habits strategies in place and that has helped me a lot with success in losing and sticking with it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets me about the "abstainer" Vs "moderator" thing is that it's so black and white, like "you ARE one of these two kinds of people".

There are shades of grey. So many shades. Some people might just have one or two foods they find it useful to avoid but can have anything else. Others might start out abstaining from some things and find that they can moderate them later. Still others might only be able to progress in the beginning by saying "I can have anything" but later find there are some things that just aren't worth the fight.

The real point is, from a pure weight loss point of view, you can eat any food you like. It's a crucial message, because the ovewhelming message churned out by the woo mills is that abstinence from certain foods is obligatory to lose weight, and that message is just wrong and counterproductive.

Abstaining is just a tool that can be used selectively to help you stick to your goals. It's no kind of obligation. It's a choice.

Sorry, I just always get annoyed by anything that boils down to "there are two kinds of people in the world...".

I completely agree. That's why I try to never classifying people into categories and instead advocate "whatever makes dieting easier" as a solution because it includes extreme abstainers, free for all kind of people, and anything in between.
  • berryblonde
    berryblonde Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Tons of awesome replies and info here! I wanted to add that hot drinks like coffee or hot tea curb my hunger for a while. Just don't mix in loads of heavy calorie creams and sugars. I use a low calorie fat free creamer or skim milk and Splenda when I want to sweeten coffee or hot green tea. I did like many suggested and purchased a treadmill from Craigslist, found beginner's yoga on YouTube and ditched an unused gym membership. Every day is a learning process with foods, exercise, and most of all my own self image. You are making strides already towards the right direction, just keep taking the right steps and every day make new ones, add in more choices that are good for you.
  • Javagal2778
    Javagal2778 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    The thing that gets me about the "abstainer" Vs "moderator" thing is that it's so black and white, like "you ARE one of these two kinds of people".

There are shades of grey. So many shades. Some people might just have one or two foods they find it useful to avoid but can have anything else. Others might start out abstaining from some things and find that they can moderate them later. Still others might only be able to progress in the beginning by saying "I can have anything" but later find there are some things that just aren't worth the fight.

The real point is, from a pure weight loss point of view, you can eat any food you like. It's a crucial message, because the ovewhelming message churned out by the woo mills is that abstinence from certain foods is obligatory to lose weight, and that message is just wrong and counterproductive.

Abstaining is just a tool that can be used selectively to help you stick to your goals. It's no kind of obligation. It's a choice.

Sorry, I just always get annoyed by anything that boils down to "there are two kinds of people in the world...".

I agree with you. I have to limit my alcohol to max. 2 drinks/week (better in just one night) or it becomes a free for all but I do better with a little bit of chocolate everyday vs. abstaining and then having the slippery slope of "I'll have one..." that leads to 2, 3, 10, haha! With CICO, I do think you can eat whatever you want, as long as there's a deficit but the parameters around that will look different for everyone. The OP sounds like she struggles with chips in the house. Abstaining or switching to a different crunchy/salty snack might be a great strategy to get her back on track with losing.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I agree, keeping the crunchy bags of deliciousness out of reach for a while might be a good idea, OP. Don't tell yourself you can never have them. Just not right now while you're getting started!
  • All_Exits_Lead_Within
    Options
    Thank you for all of your wonderful and caring replies.

I'm getting blood work done in the morning for folate, iron and B12. I've done some internet searching and think that the excess carbs I eat could be causing me to feel extra sluggish AND creating a kind of brain fog that is preventing me from focusing on what I need to do. I've cut down my bread consumption to once a day, brown rice from 1/2 cup to a 1/4 of a cup, completely eliminating refined sugars from my diet and slowly reducing my intake in coffee so that I am eventually coffee free (I'm a coffee addict).

I suspect this is going to be really hard, but I'm committing myself to 14 days of this to see if I fee any better. I'll be sure to come back and let you all know how it goes.
  • openthedooragain
    openthedooragain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey Ali. I have found that I was extremely TIRED even a few months ago at the beginning of this journey. There are a few things that helped:

1. Find a physical therapist (my doc prescribed my n it's completely covered in most states) and find one that will do table work on you and also will teach you floor excercises. It's super easy and you mostly just lay there but the difference in how I feel in terms of jus dull pain and tiredness is significant.

2. F*uck yen gym. I have a love hate relationship with it. BUT I love walking outside for an hournloosing track listening to podcasts or music on my phone or even taking calls with my earbuds in just chatting w friends. Time FLIES when you're chatting with people.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,571 Member
    Options
    When you're REALLY SERIOUS about doing it, then it won't be as difficult. Right now it just sounds like you desire it, but won't commit to it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • openthedooragain
    Options
    Also. My mom is morbidly obsess n is an amazing cook. She lives to cook and she doesn't eat how you think an obese person would. But all that stuff sneaks in and before you know it she always has something in her mouth. I think it soothes her. and I get that. I used to be addicted to fried foods BAD and then I had to go cold turkey. Now if I get chips they taste weird or oily. Switching to quality corn chips was also a compromise. Best kind is xochtil white corn. Again- it's just to taper yourself off. And for me buying little packets of junk food treats only less to me binging down the road.
  • openthedooragain
    Options
    Oh. And HUGE difference was getting those dumb color coded beachbody containers. The whole system is kind of like a pyramid scheme of trainers etc so don't go down that road. BUT buying those colored tippereares m following the guidelines is like weighing foot for dummies and it taugh me HOW to eat properly. I realized that I was eating things way out of proportions. And that I thought of corn as veg and beans as protein and not carbs which was screwing up my weightloss even when I was super healthy. Best ten bucks I ever spent and now I STILL use them because it helps me hit my macros every. Single day. Xoxo
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    1. Make healthier snacks. Simply going from fried chips to baking your own will help.
    2. Don't buy junk food. It's a lot easier to avoid snacking on unhealthy foods, when you don't buy any. If you end up craving it, buy the small snack pack size. That way even if you kill off the bag, you're eating less than you usually do and it'll curb your craving to ween yourself off of them.
    3. The gym truth. No one cares, they really don't. When people workout, they usually fall into one of two groups. New people that are concentrating really hard to just finish thier workout so they ignore everyone. Regulars, that are so into thier workout wild pigs could be roaming the gym and they wouldn't notice. So just go, most gyms have trainers you can ask for advice on how to use the equipment and for tips as well.
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'd highly recommend learning how to bake low calorie desserts. There's a lot of recipes that you can modify to include fruits and veggies-- zucchini bread, black bean brownies, applesauce cake, banana cookies, etc-- to help you reach your goals, especially if you have a sweet tooth.

Also, not all baking is desserts! Yesterday I made sugar-free cornbread, savory muffins, and spiced lentil, sweet potato, and kale pockets with homemade wheat bread. Later on in the week, I'm going to make garlic knots and sweet potato flatbread. The actual act of baking is extremely versatile and you can find a lot of recipes that are low-cal, tasty, and great for presents. It just takes a little extra effort :)
  • drgnfyre
    drgnfyre Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    There is another possibility to why you are always tired. You could have food allergies. This was my issue. They make me tired, give me migraines, stuff my nose up, make my muscles hurt, and lots of other things. I wound up being allergic to ALL grains and most fruits and a LOT of veggies. So i had to be tested by a doctor to figure it all out. Doesn't mean this is your issue, but allergies CAN cause fatigue. I get so tired after eating a food I shouldn't that I have to take a nap and am groggy the next day. Maybe it's not your issue, but who knows?