Alternative to weight loss surgery?

Replies

• ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Diet and sport:)t626te6g6g72y2gd23.jpg
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Yeah, don't give up.

I didn't like how small one ounce of cheese was...or how little a tablespoon of peanut butter was - by weight. My level tablespoon of butter was more like 22g instead of 14g. Those kind of little mistakes add up.

I also agree that a "high calorie meal" can wipe out the whole weeks worth of eating at your calorie goal.

If you aren't losing weight, you're simply eating too much.

Congratulations on your 41 pounds loss! That's amazing! You don't need a dangerous surgery. Stick with us, you're well on your way.

• jesika0731
    jesika0731 Posts: 22 Member
    Yeah, don't give up.

I didn't like how small one ounce of cheese was...or how little a tablespoon of peanut butter was - by weight. My level tablespoon of butter was more like 22g instead of 14g. Those kind of little mistakes add up.

I also agree that a "high calorie meal" can wipe out the whole weeks worth of eating at your calorie goal.

Congratulations on your 41 pounds loss! That's amazing! You don't need a dangerous surgery. Stick with us, you're well on your way.

Thank you so much!

• Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    jesika0731 wrote: »
    Ugh I guess I'll try measuring

Not measuring. Weighing.

Buy a food scale, weigh everything solid you plan on eating, and then log that using accurate database entries.
    I would bet a good amount of $$ you are eating far more than you think you are.
    Give it a try for a few weeks and let us know how it goes! :smile:

Lol, I felt the same way. I was using measuring cups and serving sizes to count. When I got a scale I realized that I was eating more than twice as much as I thought!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,379 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yeah, don't give up.

@jesika0731 This little estimating mistake with the butter above alone resulted in 72 calories extra. Imagine you do that a few time per day, every day.

But yes, you can do it! I'm glad you asked these questions. That's the way to go <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Yeah, don't give up.

I was so delusional about peanut butter...thank goodness for my scale to bring some reality to my consumption!

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    You should be lifting weights too, not just walking for cardio.
  • jesika0731
    jesika0731 Posts: 22 Member

Baby steps lol
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited July 2017

Not at all necessary....Just saying. Iv lost all my weight (105 pounds in 13 months ) and im quite tight and slim considering, and i dont lift weights :o
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    jesika0731 wrote: »
    ck2d wrote: »
    Look up "whooshes and squishy fat" - it explains why there are plateaus and will help you not worry about them.

This theory helped me out a lot before but even now eating a higher calorie meal once a week is not producing the "whoosh" effect.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect it would. Ultimately, if you aren't losing weight you aren't eating less than you are burning. This could be because you aren't logging what you eat correctly or it could be that you aren't active enough.
  • dadsafrantic
    dadsafrantic Posts: 183 Member
    are you serious or not? the suggestions given above are all based on the poster's successful experience.

here's mine.
    1. get a scale and weigh everything including liquids.
    2. track EVERYTHING.
    3. stop eating packaged food - cook what you eat. don't eat conveniently, eat mindfully. stay away from processed food.
    4. pick your recipes carefully. make it fun. try new things. cooking well is rewarding.
    5. plan your meals. if it's good left overs make great second meals for another day.
    6. prepping is good. be careful not to eat tomorrows meal today - don't ask how i know.
    7. try a rice cake.
    8. lose the diet coke.
    9. get up and move. when you go to the store to buy the ingredients (not packages) of the food you are going to weigh park as far away from the door as possible.

you might like intermittent fasting as well. good results quickly and consistently.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    edited July 2017
    Not a bad list, but there's no reason to eliminate packaged food. It's often high in sodium, true, but not always. And even if it is, cutting back is not necessarily cutting out.

And Diet Coke is neutral for weight loss. Frees up extra calories for other food, tastier than water. There is a problem if you let yourself think it magically rips the calories out of the rest of your meal, but that's a bit like saying exercise doesn't help because taking five flights of stairs instead of using the elevator didn't mean I had enough calories for a banana split.

I'm down 71 lbs in just over 8 months, eating Gardein and veggie dogs and drinking over a litre of Diet Coke daily. Saw my doctor 27 lbs ago (going back in September) and everything had improved.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    are you serious or not? the suggestions given above are all based on the poster's successful experience.

here's mine.
    1. get a scale and weigh everything including liquids.
    2. track EVERYTHING.
    3. stop eating packaged food - cook what you eat. don't eat conveniently, eat mindfully. stay away from processed food.
    4. pick your recipes carefully. make it fun. try new things. cooking well is rewarding.
    5. plan your meals. if it's good left overs make great second meals for another day.
    6. prepping is good. be careful not to eat tomorrows meal today - don't ask how i know.
    7. try a rice cake.
    8. lose the diet coke.
    9. get up and move. when you go to the store to buy the ingredients (not packages) of the food you are going to weigh park as far away from the door as possible.

you might like intermittent fasting as well. good results quickly and consistently.

3, 7 and 8 are totally unnecessary - other advice is good.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I have lost 86 pounds just walking. You can lose without weight lifting but I regret that I didn't because I have lost strength. In other words I am now "skinny fat". I look fine with my clothes on but honestly am frustrated at my lack of strength. They say muscle burns more calories than fat so had I lifted I probably would be getting more calories. Just the same if you are just trying to lose weight you can do it by counting calories and walking.

• ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Echoing everyone. I never thought I needed to weigh. So I used measuring cups, and what I'd log as a cup was really short of the cup line. I thought that covered it.

Around 210, my weight loss stopped. So I sucked it up and got a scale.

It didn't cover it. Each meal I was eating at least 150 more calories than I thought I was, and I was a grazer with 4-6 small meals a day.
  • saraichka
    saraichka Posts: 24 Member
    edited July 2017
    Congrats on the 41lb loss. That is awesome! You're on the path, you just need to do some fine tuning. As many of the above mentioned, you may want to measure your foods. But I would also recommend adding more exercise, or changing your exercise. HIIT is great, but concur with weightlifting as you'll burn more calories with more muscle. That may help your body get out of this plateau. Don't be discouraged though, you've come so far already!