I done messed up... ouch

Options
Ok so I maybe got a little over excited to be running again. I picked up running again a few months ago and I got back into my old stride a lot faster than I expected so I started to push too hard. I had old dead shoes, was running on city streets, and nearly doubled my frequency, so as you all can guess I have shin splints. I can't go a half mile right now without my shins screaming at me. Now it's time to rest up and heal but I don't want to stop running altogether. I've never had shin splints so I'm curious how long have you guys given yourself to rest and let them get better? Should I stop running and just be on a bike or can I still jog a couple (2-3) days a week? I have seen too many posts about serious injuries that take runners out for months to try to run through it and hope for the best. I would rather slow down and heal now then totally wipe my shins out. Any tips on how to heal quickly or how long I should only be doing low impact excercise?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Stop running, buy new shoes.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    "Shin Splints" covers many different things. Everything from overuse muscle issues to bone fractures. Without xrays and/or MRI it is hard to tell what the source of the pain is.

Take some time off (a week or 2) and then go to the local running store and get fitted for proper shoes. When you start running again, take it easy. Your legs take much longer to adapt than you heart and lungs do.

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    1. Rest & ice the affected area.
    2. get new shoes (I can tell when mine are due for retirement, I start getting unusual little aches & pains)
    3. cross train while recovering
    4. when you start running again dial back your total volume and build on it gradually
    5. have fun!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    victory68 wrote: »
    ... I have shin splints.

As above, it could be one of a number of different things. The main thing is that you've identified potential causes; worn out shoes, overdoing it etc.
    Should I stop running and just be on a bike or can I still jog a couple (2-3) days a week?

Personally I'd recommend ceasing running, but cross training of some kind has the potential to be very beneficial for you. Cycling, assuming you're clipped in, can help to address the causes of some forms of shin splints, and it's not contra-indicated for other types.
  • victory68
    victory68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :) I went out this weekend and replaced my shoes but even in the new ones it hurts to run so it looks like it's time to cross train for a couple weeks. I really appreciate all your advice
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Injuries with runners are super-common. I think I've read 70-something % of them injure themselves in any given year?
    Anyways, if you still want to run, I'd try to find a better surface to go smacking your feet into. Grass is great, or a softer running track if you can find one. Or stairs.

Maybe you could change your form? That's a controversial idea and I don't wanna get into it, but I do well with non-heel strikes and focusing on sprints. Been doing it for years with no injuries.