How is this possible?!

Options
Ok, so I've been following mfp for a few weeks and lost 4lb. I had a cheat on saturday night and had a pizza and crisps. On saturday morning when weighed myself I was 155lb. I weighed myself Sunday morning after my cheat just out of curiosity (I only usually weigh myself every Saturday morning). I weighed 157lb! I out it down to water weight, but now, this morning I weigh 158. How?! How am I putting on weight so fast?

Replies

• cara2411
    cara2411 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cara2411 wrote: »
    Ok, so I've been following mfp for a few weeks and lost 4lb. I had a cheat on saturday night and had a pizza and crisps. On saturday morning when weighed myself I was 155lb. I weighed myself Sunday morning after my cheat just out of curiosity (I only usually weigh myself every Saturday morning). I weighed 157lb! I out it down to water weight, but now, this morning I weigh 158. How?! How am I putting on weight so fast?

still water weight
  • cara2411
    Options

still water weight

How long does it take to get rid of water weight?
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options

still water weight

How long does it take to get rid of water weight?

Your weight will always fluctuate up and down due to water. Water is not a bad thing. Your body uses it. Unless you are preparing for a bekini competition or you want to fit in a particular boxing category for your next Sunday fight, there is no need to get rid of it.
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    richb178 wrote: »
    It's not like your body actually stored 3lbs of fat from a small cheat one evening. Don't chase the scale or you'll drive yourself crazy.

amen to that. I weigh once a week on the same day at the same time. And even then I think it might be too frequent!
  • cara2411
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Also, I usually go to a spinning class once a week, but last week I went 4 times as I had more free time, could dramatically increasing exercise cause me to retain more water?
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    Also, I usually go to a spinning class once a week, but last week I went 4 times as I had more free time, could dramatically increasing exercise cause me to retain more water?

It absolutely can.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I gained 7lbs after a 2 day carb fest at my son's birthday party. I over ate not even enough to kill my weekly deficit so while I gained 7lbs of weight, I actually lost .5lbs of fat

Took about a week to see it fall off, just let the time pass and don't stress.. it's going to pass anyhow

ETA: I meant so specify that this was mostly water and replenished glycogen stores
  • Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

Your body also has a stress hormone, cortisol, which also results in more water retention. When you exercise a lot, your body releases this hormone too. So many who decide they need to increase their exercise because they aren't seeing results only continue to up the ante and release more cortisol - then become more stressed because they aren't seeing results - releasing even more, etc. The best advice here, if that's you, is to chill out. I know, easier said than done. But again, patience is the best thing you do mentally while your trying to become healthy.

It doesn't happen overnight, but done right, it does happen.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    richb178 wrote: »
    It's not like your body actually stored 3lbs of fat from a small cheat one evening. Don't chase the scale or you'll drive yourself crazy.

amen to that. I weigh once a week on the same day at the same time. And even then I think it might be too frequent!

For some folks, maybe even many, I think you are right. I weigh each morning under the same conditions, right after elimination, naked, before eating or drinking anything. That number can vary by 2 to 3 pounds, though is usually within a pound or so. The key, for me, to not obsessing is to then log it into a weight trending app and look at the graph. Over time, it is consistently downwards. Winning!

Also, I know that from cortisol, diet etc, I'm going to be up and down, but about every 2 to 3 weeks I'm going to have a whoosh day and move the average downward. That helps me to chills on the days it goes up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,569 Member
    Options
    It's from the extra weight of anxiety. :D

Weight fluctuates DAILY especially if you have a sodium blowout one or two days prior. Drink some water, that should help.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    A pound of fat is approx. 3500 calories, just remind yourself of that whenever you see the scale move up. If you ate 3500 above your maintenance level the previous day or 2 then maybe it's real otherwise it's almost always going to be water weight. Just keep at it, sometimes it feels like there is no change at all for a long time and then boom the scale drops a nice chunk, other times it drops a little each day, and then other times it goes up a little. For me salt is a big culprit here.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily (or at least several times a week) just so I can catch the low times in my weight as it fluctuates so darn much from water weight. I don't think that would work for people who get upset seeing themselves go up and down constantly though.