how to get started with the right exercise~

Options
kungkung_x3
kungkung_x3 Posts: 5 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
hey all!

I was wondering how you guys from personal experience started the gym. In terms of what kinds of workout and routines. Currently I have some lower back problems and i can feel it when im just walking too. im pretty sure its because of being overweight tho. Im not sure if I'll be able to do treadmills effectively for a long workout.

Has anyone tried swimming or going straight into weight lifting from their first day/time in their journey or anything?

I do have a list from google but I was just wanted to hear from you guys to see maybe if thers any details or additional tips I miss out from researching that the web doesnt tell me!

Are there any alternatives for complete beginners and first timers? If treadmills and eclipse are most effective I'll stick to that first and take it very slow!

Appreciate any sort of input or feedback ^^ Thanks for stopping by!

Replies

• Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    As a total beginner in lifting I decided to buy a book which was recommended here called Strong Curves. I loved it and I learned from it.

Other than that I occasionally go swimming and ride stationary bike but my main form of cardio is walking around 10k stwps a day (intentional brisk walking). I do low impact cardio mainly to add more calories to eat for the day.
  • kungkung_x3
    kungkung_x3 Posts: 5 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »
    As a total beginner in lifting I decided to buy a book which was recommended here called Strong Curves. I loved it and I learned from it.

Other than that I occasionally go swimming and ride stationary bike but my main form of cardio is walking around 10k stwps a day (intentional brisk walking). I do low impact cardio mainly to add more calories to eat for the day.

ohh thanks for the response! did it take you long to get into it? I'll defninitely search for that book, I seen so many positive results from weight lifting adn pairs really well with cardio so I think i will def wanna get into lifting! I am kind of interested in swimming as well, did u start when u lost weight? what do u usually do for ur swimming workouts?
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I did not hit the gym until I was at the higher end of my BMI. I had/have lower back issues but I manage them well now and I have asthma. Ultimately it is about eating less and losing the weight. For me that went hand in hand with gaining fitness and increasing my lung capacity

My journey (slow)
    1. Yoga: Increased it as I have been doing it for years, but started doing that in the mornign on top of my normal class - within my comfort zone 5 years ago
    2. Started walking - increasing distance, time and difficulty That was 4 years ago at the start when I added the weights I was up to hiking holidays in the Scottish highlands
    3. Started with light weights when I was out of obese to avoid flabby arms That was two years ago. Increasing it over time
    4. Joined the gym a year ago - cardio class and more weights
    5. Started running 6 months ago - now 3x week and I run a decent 5k

In between I still walk I increased the others exept the yoga. Still do it but it is the only one that is reduced in time, but increased in intenstity/flexibility
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    gebeziseva wrote: »

ohh thanks for the response! did it take you long to get into it? I'll defninitely search for that book, I seen so many positive results from weight lifting adn pairs really well with cardio so I think i will def wanna get into lifting! I am kind of interested in swimming as well, did u start when u lost weight? what do u usually do for ur swimming workouts?

I'm doing very leasurely my strength workouts (from the book) at home, not in the gym. I even play ambient yoga/meditation music at the background. Sometimes I just do some scattered throughout the day squats and glute bridges. I don't like to push myself (for health reasons).

Swimming - I just swim leasurely for about 45mins when I go to the pool. I try to have fun mostly and earn calories as a byproduct.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend you to start off with yoga. Without building your core strength and learning how to carry yourself, especially in terms of your spine, it's difficult to maximize your takeaway from weight training.

(Storytime: Before I learnt how to use my core to support myself, I tried doing glute building exercises and pulled some muscles in my lower back multiple times and had trouble even walking for days after. Not a fun experience.)

I've been doing yoga on and off (only daily since 3 months ago) for years but was only able to hold proper side/forearm planks since 2 months ago, proper full pushups since a month ago and hold crane/crow poses for a few seconds since 2 weeks ago. I find that yoga is also the most enjoyable activity (I don't really count it as an exercise as I combine hatha and vinyasa and adjust the degree depending on my daily mood) and thus the most sustainable one. You mentioned lower back problems which is all the more reason I'd suggest yoga as it provides the flexibility for you to adjust any alignment or other issues and build a routine that specifically caters to your needs.

Good luck! (:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I started with body weight exercises. Then started walking more. I'd just google 'youtube workouts for beginners', honestly.