any substitute for dairy ??

Options
I need suggestions to substitute dairy products especially milk cos I suffer bouts of diarrhea after every dairy product I take even soy milk, any suggestions please ??

Replies

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Almond or cashew milk.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Almond or cashew milk.

or any other nut milk. :laugh:
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I drink plant milk instead of dairy. From my experience, Silk is a good brand. There's also Almond Breeze.

https://silk.com/products

Silk Protein Nutmilk 10 G protein in a cup.
    Cashew milk (thicker than almond milk, IMO tastes most like dairy milk)
    Almond milk (low calorie)
    Soy milk (upsets some people's stomachs -- I can't drink it for that reason). Has about 6 G protein in a cup.
    Coconut milk

Plant milks are both flavored (vanilla, chocolate, etc.) and unflavored Most of them have as much added calcium as dairy milk.

This is another good brand: http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products They make a delicious coconut ice cream.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You might have to give it up.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Soy milk isn't dairy?

You can get a lot of lactose free dairy if it's lactose causing you issues, or non-dairy alternatives for cheese, yogurt and milk etc if it's something else.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with soy milk, that may indicate an issue with something added to the milks, as soy milk shouldn't contain any dairy.

But, as for substitutions, it greatly depends on what you are making.
    For something that needs liquids but the dairy doesn't really have a huge effect, you can try any liquid you like. Non-dairy milks (like rice milk, nut milks, hemp milk, sunflower milk), juice, water, broth, you name it. Just aim for what flavor you'd like. You may need to add a little fat, as dairy typically has that and it can have an impact if it's missing, but any liquid will do. This goes for, say, something like pancakes.

For something that needs thickening or a good texture, people often use cashew cream (which you can make yourself - recipes online, very simply), or coconut milk. Both have a fair amount of fat. Cashew cream will thicken when heated. Coconut milk or coconut cream will give a nice creamy consistency - often good for making your own dairy-free ice creams.

For something that just uses the fats, like for butter, or milk (like added to mashed potatoes), just use another fat. Oil, a broth that contains fats, etc...
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You don't need a substitute for dairy, you can just not consume it.

Do you mean to use in a way you currently use a particular dairy product? Knowing the specifics would lead to better suggestions.

Or do you mean as a protein source (which would lead to different suggestions)?

Or for calcium? Still different suggestions.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    You don't need a substitute for dairy, you can just not consume it.

Do you mean to use in a way you currently use a particular dairy product? Knowing the specifics would lead to better suggestions.

Or do you mean as a protein source (which would lead to different suggestions)?

Or for calcium? Still different suggestions.

ditto.
  • erica_today
    erica_today Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cashew milk is creamier than almond

They also make lactose free dairy products

Or vegan dairy products

Although I've had vegan yogurt and no thank you.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    onesarah68 wrote: »
    I need suggestions to substitute dairy products especially milk cos I suffer bouts of diarrhea after every dairy product I take even soy milk, any suggestions please ??

Have you ever tried taking Lactaid?
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    onesarah68 wrote: »

Soy milk isn't a dairy product.

Try a nut milk... almond, cashew, hazelnut.. there's also coconut, rice, quinoa, etc milk. Or, just don't drink any form of milk.. it's not required.
  • jkirby0036
    jkirby0036 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am lactose intolerant and use almond milk. I cook with the plain non-sweetened/non-vanilla and everything turns out good. My family doesn't even know I switch it up. :wink: I have used store brand and name brand, it all turns out the same for me. I drink the almond sweetened with vanilla to drink from time to time. I think it tastes like a melted milk shake. Good luck, hope you find something that works for you!
  • jkirby0036
    jkirby0036 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    oh, I forgot, I also cannot do soy.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oat milk. The Oatly brand is awesome and it's neutral enough not to destroy a cup of tea. Oatly cream is great for cooking too.
  • kwilson23144
    kwilson23144 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Try lactaid!! I'm lactose intolerant as well and it tastes JUST like regular milk without making me feel awful! They also have ice cream too that tastes just like regular ice cream as well! I know Trader Joe's has a vegan, non dairy cream cheese and it tastes pretty darn good! And if you ever want to add a cheesy flavor, nutritional yeast is actually really good as well! Hope this helps! :)
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I don't drink much milk or nut milks in general, but I do love the Vanilla Flax Milk for times I do get on a milk kick.

http://goodkarmafoods.com/product/vanilla-flaxmilk/