How do you stay controlled at parties and gatherings

Options
2»

Replies

• Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Its a lifestyle choice not a prison sentence.
    Exactly!

Don't beat yourself up over having a day that you eat too many calories, but when you are at a party, do try to be conscious of the fact that you might kick yourself later for what you put in your mouth. Sometimes in those situations I just imagine that whoever brought a certain dish has cats walking on their countertops or something gross like that... it makes it easier to skip over the things I will regret later..
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I plan it in to my calories as much as I can. If I go over, I pick up the pieces over the next few days. This is for life, so I am not going to let it stop me having fun. Have the fun and work around it. I would think it not a problem unless you were going to lots parties in a short period of time and it becomes impossible to work it into your macros. Then you have to make some decisions!!
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go
    Have a drink in your hand (lemon water or club soda)
    Eat a mint
    If your hungry choose some things that are low calorie, eat it in one sitting and don't pick at food for the rest of the night.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    At more function like parties and gatherings I usually drink (sparkling) water and take finger food based around fruit or veggies. If it's a function dinner, I really don't bother - I just don't eat what I feel is not a good choice for me and leave it on the plate. Where I cannot /don't make a fuss is when we have dinner at friends'. If I accept the invitation, I also politely take what the hosts made. But in moderation if it is something that is pushing it way up above my calories goal. But then again, I had my gall bladder removed a few years ago and my intolerance to greasy or cream heavy foods increased and my friends know and respect that. What I don't refuse is chocolate though :)
  • silken555
    silken555 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out, I take it into account for my logging. Saturdays are usually my eat anything day, but if I know I'm going out where there may be a lot of food, I just swap the day. I still log everything I ate though. It's harder because I can't weigh anything while I'm out. I also drink a lot of water so I don't go overboard TOO much, but I don't really restrict myself either.

Edited to add: I can't drink any alcohol due to daily medication so I don't have that to worry about.
  • prairiewalker
    prairiewalker Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    go to the dessert table first..grab a dessert plate..NO DESSERT..then go back to the food table and place only plain meat and veggies on your dessert plate..no crackers, salads with dressings or anything made with a "recipe" ..stick to raw or steamed baked single ingredient foods...drink lots of water and add a twist of lemon :) don't sit..stand and mingle or dance, play with whatever games they might have out..remember you will wake up clear headed and energetic by sticking to your routine tonight :flowerforyou: