needing cheap healthy ideas

Options
mjtaylor87
mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
Just got back from vacation where i spent way more than i should have. I have a kitchen full of food but it is all pasta, crackers, mac and cheese, cereal, and stuff like that. so i have to make do with what we have. any ideas. I do have a little to get some groceries but not a lot.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    There is a New Orleans tradition that I like to follow: Red Beans and Rice Mondays.
    I buy a box of Zatarains for about 1.25. A can of beans for about .79. And even a can of tomatoes (drained). Provides a healthy dinner for two with leftovers. CHEAP.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Check out budgetbytes.com
  • mjtaylor87
    mjtaylor87 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There is a New Orleans tradition that I like to follow: Red Beans and Rice Mondays.
    I buy a box of Zatarains for about 1.25. A can of beans for about .79. And even a can of tomatoes (drained). Provides a healthy dinner for two with leftovers. CHEAP.

I will have to try that. i love new Orleans food
  • kms234
    kms234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Omelets!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    - Cilantro Lime Black Beans and Rice
    - Egg Frittata
    - Eggroll in a Bowl - I usually use ground turkey instead of pork
    - Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
    - White Chicken Chili

Snacks could be hard-boiled eggs, carrot sticks, seasonal fruit, etc.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    -Beans and rice
    -omelets (or eggs in general)
    -canned tuna and cottage cheese
    -whole roasting chicken-Boil and use the broth as a base for soup, add beans, rice, veggies, pasta, pull the meat and portion it out for use in other dishes like tacos, chicken salad, etc.
    - peanut butter and banana sandwiches
    - Baked sweet potatoes with taco meat or black beans
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Farmers markets for fresh veggies this time of year!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on buying cheap protein (eggs, a bag of beans) and produce. Do not buy any more starches until you have whittled down what you have. Look at the weekly store circular to see which vegetables are on sale. After the post-vacation financial crisis is over, try to keep avoiding spending money on things like crackers and go instead for veggies and things that add lots of flavor like garlic, onions, soy sauce, worcestershire, etc.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Eat up your pastas and mac and cheese, but bulk it out with cheap veggies like carrots or a frozen bag of mixed veggies and things like tuna and hamburger, if you can find it on sale, or beans. Just be mindful of portion sizes for the higher cal items, if your goal is a deficit.
    Mac and cheese with some tuna is practically a casserole, or add some hamburger, beans, and chili spices and call it chilli mac. Make a serving of pasta and mix in some roasted carrots or zucchini with a can of tomato sauce. Canned tuna is very inexpensive and add a little relish and mayo (which you may already have) and have tuna salad on crackers, again with some cheap veggies as a side. When you do buy groceries, just get whatever produce is on sale and in season and you'll be able to fill out a lot of the staples that you already have.