Does anyone Bullet Journal?

Options
In spite of enjoying technology for its own sake and appreciating the ease of accessing data from apps and the like, I have found a lot of value in a paper "journal." I've been carrying a notebook for a while now but also discovered "bullet journals" last year and have found that mapping out a week or a day and being creative and neat about the way it looks is a positive influence for me. Mine is a lot of food lists, meal plans, workout goals and the like, but also daily tasks and jotted down reminders that mean something in keeping me on track. I've found that making it pretty with a couple of coloured pens or pencils, spending like 5 minutes on it once or twice a day, really solidifies plans and goals for me and takes some of the free-styling out of my day, which is where I'll end up getting over hungry and making ill advised food choices or just not getting to that workout at an optimal time.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I bullet journal and it includes my training plans and my planned menu for the week. I still use MFP for tracking my actual intake, but I find the bullet journal technique incredibly useful to balancing everything that is going on in my life.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Yeah I track my food here and have some fit tech but I really enjoy the paper journal for bigger picture.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I do! I use a composition notebook, and I use it to track my sleep, exercise, drinking, meditating, reading, and productivity habits. Mostly to look at streaks/correlations; for more precision tracking MFP is great. I am not as intense a bullet journaler as some; but I like that I can write daily AND monthly logs.
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    Ah yes the "intense" journalers :) - one of the reasons I'm hesitant to call it a Bullet Journal is you go search for examples and there is a lot of evidence that it is a certified fetish!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I did it for almost 3 years but have left it this year. It became too much with all the other tracking I do.

I have my apps on my phone and the book was getting heavy and cluttering up my spaces so I am slowly getting away from it.

I like you used colored pens/pencils funky paper stickers etc. I have so much washi tape it's silly but it was nice but like I said I have enough going on and didn't need that "extra".

Cause lets be honest it's not 5mins 1x a day it takes a lot of time to do it.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of this term before, but I'm looking for a different way to track stuff-I'll need to look into this more :)
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I did it for almost 3 years but have left it this year. It became too much with all the other tracking I do.

I have my apps on my phone and the book was getting heavy and cluttering up my spaces so I am slowly getting away from it.

I like you used colored pens/pencils funky paper stickers etc. I have so much washi tape it's silly but it was nice but like I said I have enough going on and didn't need that "extra".

Cause lets be honest it's not 5mins 1x a day it takes a lot of time to do it.

It's all about choice. I'm not drawing grids and colouring in bars for glasses of water or anything like that. There's such a thing as too much planning/tracking which can disguise/be avoidance behaviour. There's no right pr wrong way to do it, but there is definitely something to it being neat and kinda formal as opposed to scribbles on paper that makes it mean something for me.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    writing down your goals has been proven to help you reach them, love this method <3
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    im allergic to paper, Sooo no not how you describe it. I do use google sheets though xD I have some crazy detailed pages lol
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    jlptg7yxyuau.jpg

So do you use a regular planner just for diet/fitness data? I've never thought to do that but wow, that's kind of brilliant! I have scrap paper notes/mini-notebooks all over the place for my current woe experiment and it's driving me nuts!
  • MelanieCN77
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    im allergic to paper, Sooo no not how you describe it. I do use google sheets though xD I have some crazy detailed pages lol

Wow, I've never heard of a paper allergy! Unless you're being sarcastic and it's too early for me to notice :D
  • Mummytofitmummy
    Mummytofitmummy Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do! But mines more of a TN.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    jlptg7yxyuau.jpg

So do you use a regular planner just for diet/fitness data? I've never thought to do that but wow, that's kind of brilliant! I have scrap paper notes/mini-notebooks all over the place for my current woe experiment and it's driving me nuts!

Yup! Just like a regular student planner from Staples and I only use it for fitness stuff. In the daily part I write myself little notes that are quite comical and cute haha. I keep track of my lifts, my bad days, my period/ovulation cycle. It's redundant with mfp but I really find value in putting pen to paper when it comes to goals and measuring my progress. I can't recommend writing things down enough!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

Wow, I've never heard of a paper allergy! Unless you're being sarcastic and it's too early for me to notice :D

Nah sadly im serious im allergic to wood in all forms XD Its an interesting allergy i know, Epi-pen and all xD
  • OliveGirl128
    edited July 2017
    Options
    jlptg7yxyuau.jpg

Yup! Just like a regular student planner from Staples and I only use it for fitness stuff. In the daily part I write myself little notes that are quite comical and cute haha. I keep track of my lifts, my bad days, my period/ovulation cycle. It's redundant with mfp but I really find value in putting pen to paper when it comes to goals and measuring my progress. I can't recommend writing things down enough!

Seriously, you just saved me from losing my mind lol! I'm not tracking on MFP-I really, really try but I just can't stick with it (I'm maintaining fine without it, but I still wanted to track food stuff because I'm experimenting with a specific woe right now). I'm going to pick up a planner today-you should see all the stickies I have scattered around right now with my green smoothies 'greens' rotations, oiy :p This should really help me get everything in one place and then give me an idea of where I'm at with my food!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Nah. aint nobody got time for that.
  • OliveGirl128
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I did some quick googling and it looks like the official method of bullet journaling could be pretty time intensive, but I'm loving pps idea of a pre-done planner for me to keep diet/exercise info, since I don't track anywhere else except for messy piles of notes around my house lol.
  • Tabbycat00
    Tabbycat00 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have a digital journal, a digital bullet journal, a physical journal, a paper planner, and about a million small notebooks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »

I did some quick googling and it looks like the official method of bullet journaling could be pretty time intensive, but I'm loving pps idea of a pre-done planner for me to keep diet/exercise info, since I don't track anywhere else except for messy piles of notes around my house lol.

The fancy ones that you see online can take a lot of time (people tend to do them because they enjoy the art of it), but the actual system doesn't involve any of the decoration. I spend just minutes a day on mine and then about ten minutes at the start of the month to get a new month set up.

http://bulletjournal.com/