Has counting calories had a negative or positive impact on you?

Options
2»

Replies

• sczoo26
    sczoo26 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    For me it has been very positive, before I started calorie counting I would quite happily add more mayo and then more.. And eat what I liked when I liked, since starting calorie counting I feel I am in control of food and not food being in control of me.. I will never look at mayo In the same way again, and to see how many calories are in somethings is a real eye opener too, so yeah ima say calories counting has made a huge impact to my life and I'm so greatful
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Positive. I am aware in a way I wasn't for most of my life, and dropped over 50 pounds in about 8 months. The only "negative" is that I can no longer be blissfully ignorant that eating a pint of Ben and Jerry's chunky monkey or the entire side of french fries at In-N-Out has such a high calorie count, and what a large percentage of my daily intake that is. You can't "unknow" what you learn by calorie counting, and that is really a good thing. Not giving myself permission to eat whatever tastes good to me in whatever amount I feel like has been a very new thing for me over the past year. In my 20s and early 30s, I did this without much trouble, but after having two children and getting older the weight started to pile on. I must have been more active younger or just burned more calories or ate high calorie foods but less often. Now, I know I need to count and pay attention to keep the weight off. When I stopped counting for vacations, I did put on some weight. I will take breaks here and there for vacations and holidays, but I see calorie counting as a lifelong thing for me.
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Positive. I often think "oh I didn't eat that much today." But then when I add it all up, I see what I really ate. Usually it's plenty :-) And I want to be sure to get 30% protein, which is usually a challenge, so that too.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Counting calories has been positive for me...
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Definitely positive - the more tools the better. Counting calories isn't part of my maintenance strategy (even though I periodically count calories just because I like to) but it was extremely helpful determining exactly what it is about my low carb diet that keeps my calories in check.

Keeping carbs low is important for me (obviously or I wouldn't do it) but the impact on my eating patterns is what I've found matters the most. It's not uncommon for people to stall on a low carb diet and you'll find all sorts of lists of what to cut out if you do (cream, cheese, nuts, sweeteners, fruit etc.) or people will restrict carbs even further thinking that's the problem.

Having a firm grasp on calorie counting and that insight into my eating patterns after logging for so long has been invaluable.
  • Tammyjo06
    Tammyjo06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    As much as I would not like to count calories, I absolutely have to. It's the key to my success. Otherwise I mindlessly put things in my body that add up fast to a disaster! lol I wish I could be one of those people who can casually eat and not keep track. I can still have fun and eat yummy things. I'm just that person who needs to visually be aware of food. What can I say? I love good food!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It has definitely helped me have more calorie awareness.. it helped me lose, gain and maintain at one point. It was pretty essential when I was bulking a few years ago to make sure I was eating enough according to plan.

But now I typically can't be bothered, sometimes I log a meal or day to check in and see how my macros look. Otherwise I just kind of wing it.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    It has been positive for me in addition to having a food scale, which I was totally against for quite some time. I feel more educated about my health.
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Very positive for me - I lost close to 50 lbs, and have been maintaining for a few months now. I'm the lightest I've been since my early 20's and I eat chocolate every day. What's not to like?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Positive. So far it's the only way I've found not to persistently overeat, and not only does that help with my weight, it makes me happier, too.
  • Blitzia
    Blitzia Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 pounds doing it, so I'm a pretty big fan.

Technically I lost the first 20 pounds without logging or tracking, but it wasn't really sustainable. I felt like I had to just eat really small amounts of food, but once I actually made a calorie goal I started being able to eat larger meals, desserts, etc and have the confidence that I wasn't going to derail my progress. All positives here.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Positive x1000. Love it. Can't wait to hassle the nursing staff about nutritional information for the meat slurry when the time comes.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I think the only 'negative' is just not looking at high caloric food the same. Like if I see a dessert or guacamole or fried food I'm like how many calories does this have in it? And then I get judgy when I see others overeat like don't you know how many calories is in that?!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Painful sometimes, but positive. I still go way over some days -- but no matter what, I log it.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    For me counting calories is how I lost 80 lbs over approximately 8 months and I've been maintaining now for almost 10 months. I will be counting calories for the rest of my life but you know what I never want to go back to where I was and I like where I am

It's funny to see people reaction when I tell them how I lost all the weight. They're all looking for the magic fix but it is something as simple as calories in versus calories out.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Positive
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Jury's out..........
    Big positive is that there is a direct link between food composition and calories. So sugar or fat or alcohol not demonised.
    The question mark is will it work to get me to target ?
    Since joining MFP and starting counting calories I have had one celebration and holiday after another - aka 'life'. (Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying myself). But often I'm counting / measuring as best I can - having to do best guesses when out. I have made a lot of sensible choices so I'm sure whilst bobbing around 145 lbs I'd be rather more if I wasn't counting calories.
    Looking forward to a time when I'm more in control. I'm hopeful will get to where I want to be. So watch this space .......
  • 66ray66
    66ray66 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    On or about July 10, i found this website to help me start logging all my activities, and i also bought a device that helps to keep track of my exercise and calories burned, and let me tell you, this logging in stuff really has helped me, for when i feel I'm getting a little weak in my eating habits, i just look at all the sacrifice and progress I've made. Another thing that helps with eating, or feeling hungry, is that knowing you can over do it, if it's fresh and green. You'd be surprised how many things and ways you can STUFF yourself with and it's very healthy for you. Fruits, Veggies, etc...my favorite, making guacamole and using about 4 to 5 Tbs in a GIANT Green Salad(about 12-16 oz of greens).
    NO Cheese, Bacon Bits or Dressings...you get the picture. Heck, add 1/2 c of raisins, walnuts, about 6 oz of shredded chicken and i will bet you, you may not be able to finish it...and you will be stuffed...for hours...as a matter of fact, your next meal will come in about 4 hours and you will not be hungry. Oh, and don't forget your daily minimum of 64 oz of water.
  • WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    For me, somewhat negative. I see everything as numbers and often have to remind myself that a fat *kitten* like myself doesn't deserve to eat that much.