Protein shake

Options
Hi

I am currently eating 1200 calories a day... 5'6 and 187 pounds so far

I hit 65-80g of protein a day and started exercising at home 30 mins strenght training (with a 4lbs dumbell. Of course I will increase the dumbells withing time)

So my question is... Can I drink protein shakes to hit more protein? Or should I wait to when I start lifting heavy weights?

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    SaraydaB wrote: »
    Hi

I hit 65-80g of protein a day and started exercising at home 30 mins strenght training (with a 4lbs dumbell. Of course I will increase the dumbells withing time)

So my question is... Can I drink protein shakes to hit more protein? Or should I wait to when I start lifting heavy weights?

1. increase the weight to 15 lbs minimum.
    2. look into a more comprehensive strength/weight training program.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    SaraydaB wrote: »
    Hi

1. increase the weight to 15 lbs minimum.
    2. look into a more comprehensive strength/weight training program.

Thank you!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Unless you are very, very deconditioned and weak, a 4# dumbell is not going to be much strength training at all
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Unless you are very, very deconditioned and weak, a 4# dumbell is not going to be much strength training at all

Essentially, unless you have trouble manipulating a 2L bottle of soda, you should probably be using more than 4 # a 2L bottle of soda weighs nearly 5 lbs. A gallon is 10 lbs.

Obviously different liquids, different densities, but it's a pretty good general rule.
  • SaraydaB
    SaraydaB Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I started with that because I found them at home and if course I will increase them ;)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I think protein shakes are a great way to get protein in. I don't see any issues with added 20-30 grams to what you're currently eating, and a protein shake would do just that. I buy unflavored whey and unflavored casein. I make my own shakes with fruits, veggies, ice and almond milk. Frankly, I just hate the way all the flavored powders have artificial sweeteners.

My main goals for a protein shake are
    1) quick meal replacement for breakfast on the go
    2) getting in low fat protein