22lbs down, 78 to go, walking only exercise

Options

Replies

• bigjonb4116
    bigjonb4116 Posts: 153 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    well done. walking is great and in the fresh air even better.
    i started with walking at 456lbs and then when i had dropped a couple of stone i bought a second hand cross trainer/eliptical machine , as i was worried about impact on my joints and the cross trainers are very low impact
    but with the cross trainer and the walking , and a calorie defecit it speeded things up.
    i'm 18 months in now and 140lbs lost.
    i find when i walk i don't swing my arms very much, but the cross trainer has the poles so your arms are on the move too! every little hepls. :)
  • masterwilde
    masterwilde Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Brittdee88 - thats a good plan, i get a couple of miles in early morning before work.

Bigjonb4116 - WOW, congratulations, that is serious work. Im planning on cross training later this year when i fit out what will be the room for my home gym.

So yesterday i managed 22000 steps, had a lovely 5 mile walk through a woodland and around a lake. Struggled to eat normal calories, so will eat up today to try and cover the shortfall.
  • fitness_journey80
    fitness_journey80 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Walking is my favourite form of exercise, and I find it very beneficial for mental health, too. Especially when I can get into the countryside. I broke my toe recently (none walking-related incident) but once it has healed I will be aiming to make walking part of my daily routine again. Thanks for reminding me how good it is for me!
  • emcclure013
    emcclure013 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    You sound a lot like me! It's my second time... lost over 40 lbs and put it all back on, so I'm starting this again! I've been going 2 weeks, and I'm already feeling better. I've never been a big fan of the gym... I'm lost as to what to do there, so I focus on walking. It's easy and I enjoy it! Plus it gives me a reason to get out with my dog. Goodness knows he can use the exercise too! :) I try to get out after work for at least half an hour, and on the weekends we go to a lake with a walking trail around it and put in a few miles. Love the fresh air and the views! Wishing you the best of luck!
  • shanesemathis
    shanesemathis Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Fellow Walker here! I love nature walks while listening to Pandora, and that's how I lost 50 lbs about a year and a half ago. I've gained 30 lbs back (ugh) so now I'm back in the saddle for good. I'm mostly in the gym right now because Florida Summers don't make for great walking weather, but will resume walking when the Fall weather kicks in.

A helpful hint to those who have trouble getting accuracy with calorie counting: I bought a heart rate monitor when I first got serious about losing weight and it was a game changer. It uses my personal info to tell me how many calories I've burned during my workout and more. I have had the polar FT4 for 3 years (old model but proven to be very reliable) so I would suggest investing in one of those, about $60 on Amazon. Hope that helps! Feel free to add me if you'd like :-)
  • masterwilde
    Options
    Hello all, welcome to new people,

So today ive managed several walks clocked up 22000 steps, just very tired today as didnt sleep well.

Shanesemathis - well done on the 50lb, calorie counting, i dont input more than two little walks on here and half the calories for it. I have a polar kit here somewhere, i will have to hunt around for it.

Emcclure013 - its amazing how walking can make you feel so much better after a few days. the lake and trail sound lovely.

fitness_journ - your welcome, its great for me and yes the mental clearing of crap and clarity on thoughts in refreshing, i also adore the peace and quiet in the countryside.

im now doing the challenges on my samsung phone for 200000 steps a month, which im on target to do in 10 days, but it will be fun.
  • Nykkismommy21
    Nykkismommy21 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am 38 years old ,and a few years ago was hit by a car as a pedestrian. I messed up my lower back. I also am only using walking for now,but thinking about rejoining the gym next month. Walking has worked for me in the past to keep my weight maintained, but now im also counting calories. Nice to meet everyone.
  • masterwilde
    Options
    Hello Nykkismom, im so sorry to hear about your accident, i hope you are alot better health wise.

Walking is doing amazing things for me at the minute, my waist line, my shoulder line, my face all thinned down, calf muscle up, obviously with the help of a calorie deficit.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    What great suggestions everyone, thanks! I love to walk.
  • awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I work out at home and in my neighborhood as well. Partly because I don't feel like driving to the gym and also I can't see paying for it right now. Walking is so awesome and sounds like your off to a great start! If you're interested, I've also found an at home workout that really helps me. I'm a big girl, so jogging is out. If you have Amazon Prime, there are a couple videos on there free by Jenny Ford. She incorporates marching and step aerobics, and they last anywhere from 15-30min. I really enjoy her because she caters to all fitness levels. Good luck with your journey, wishing you all the best!
  • masterwilde
    Options
    awildwoman - hello, thanks for the tip, i will have a look for Jenny Ford

its amazing how ive changed my approach to life, i walk to town now, and walk to the shops. its not even midday in the UK and ive done 11000 steps. total weight drop is now 27lbs in under a month
  • Peeps_87
    Peeps_87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You should try c25k (couch to 5k). It starts off with a lot of walking and some running and by the end of 8 or 9 weeks, you'll be running for 30 minutes non-stop.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I use only walking as my exercise. I only do about 20-40 minutes per day though. I have kids and work so that's all I have time to fit in most days.
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also am a walker! Have a desk job but make a conscious effort to walk more at work and walk dogs 1 hr/day on week days and 2 hr/ day on weekends! They love it and I am down 35 lbs in 7 months (on 1200 cal/ day). Lots of time I feel weight loss is excruciatingly slow but I know I feel and look better. So, yay, walking!
  • masterwilde
    Options
    yay indeed to walking, just done another hours worth walking round a lake, it was beautiful. I certainly sweat a fair bit, but for the weight loss, its worth the two showers a day
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Peeps_87 wrote: »
    You should try c25k (couch to 5k). It starts off with a lot of walking and some running and by the end of 8 or 9 weeks, you'll be running for 30 minutes non-stop.

Why? If the OP is losing nicely and really likes walking, why should he start running?
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Walking outdoors is still my favorite exercise ever, and so good for you physically, mentally, spiritually. I love it, and so happy for you and your success with it! I always say that the only "best" workout is the one you love and will stick with every day for your health! Keep up the awesome work! (You too @earlnabby!)
  • masterwilde
    Options
    mizroxy13, i 100% agree do the one you love.

earlnabby, i will save one set from jeans and tops, the rest will go to charity, i refuse to put the weight back on this time.

So far today upto 22000 steps and still got chores like shopping to do and a little evening walk planned, so should end the day north of 25000. Ive had 950 calories so far today so dinner will be a nice 450/600 to top up energy levels.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    mizroxy13, i 100% agree do the one you love.

earlnabby, i will save one set from jeans and tops, the rest will go to charity, i refuse to put the weight back on this time.

So far today upto 22000 steps and still got chores like shopping to do and a little evening walk planned, so should end the day north of 25000. Ive had 950 calories so far today so dinner will be a nice 450/600 to top up energy levels.

That is exactly what I did. I still have the shorts and top from those photos and will continue to use them for progress pictures.

With all that walking, make sure you don't undereat. You need to fuel your body. Every week on weigh-in day calculate your weekly average weight loss since you started. After about 6 months, calculate it using a running 4 week average. If you are losing too fast, up your calories. You shouldn't be losing more than 2 lb a week at your current weight.