Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Doctor or PT?

Options
work_on_it
work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
Well... i've been ignoring it for 6-8 weeks. My knee hasn't felt 100%, but i was able to keep lifting and running and all. Just kind of a weird pinching feeling on the back of my knee.

After swimming yesterday - it hurts. Which is weird... I've always found swimming to be less resistance on the body. Squatting (just body weight) or extending causes pain.

I need to go get it checked. Someone suggested a chiropractor, but... it doesn't feel like an adjustment situation. It feels like a pinch or tear.

Some people say go to the doc. Some say skip the doc and go straight to PT.

What do you guys think?

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    With my insurance I have to see the ortho doctor before I can get a referral to the PT.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,969 Member
    Options
    Doctor. He will prescribe PT if it is indicated. Not all injuries are rehabitable, and the doc is the one with the fancy imaging machines. That's where he/she will start.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have to be referred to a PT for insurance, so I'd have to see the doc first.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My PT requires imaging scans to ensure there are no injuries he would be making worse, so I would go to the doc for the scans first.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone... I figured that's what the consensus would be. I think I'm really bummed it happened while swimming :frowning:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    work_on_it wrote: »
    Well... i've been ignoring it for 6-8 weeks. My knee hasn't felt 100%, but i was able to keep lifting and running and all. Just kind of a weird pinching feeling on the back of my knee.

After swimming yesterday - it hurts. Which is weird... I've always found swimming to be less resistance on the body. Squatting (just body weight) or extending causes pain.

I need to go get it checked. Someone suggested a chiropractor, but... it doesn't feel like an adjustment situation. It feels like a pinch or tear.

Some people say go to the doc. Some say skip the doc and go straight to PT.

What do you guys think?

PT
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Most PTs won't touch you without a doctor's permission.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    With my insurance I have to see the ortho doctor before I can get a referral to the PT.

Same here, although sometimes the PT places will do a free assessment.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Doc. This might be a chronic injury that just finally gave in (meaning a tear). It happens. I tore my meniscus in January of 2016. Rehabbed for a year and still wasn't 100% back. So this June I had meniscectomy and right now it feels really good. Will find out when I actually start lifting this week. I've been jogging on it for over a week now.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I'd say doc first. You may need an MRI and need an MD to order that.
  • Jlo1013
    Jlo1013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Agree with those who said doc. Honestly if something hurts for longer than a few weeks you should go. And swimming may be "kinder" but it's still a serious workout if you do it right. I ignored a persistent minor pain about five years ago and tore my calf muscle a bit. Seriously sucked being sidelined for several weeks while it healed on its own.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Orthopedist.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Doc first for MRI referral if need be, then choose the most appropriate treatment option after that.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    work_on_it wrote: »
    I'm really bummed it happened while swimming :frowning:

swimming is low-impact but high-torque, compared with air. and yeah, you don't have that useful guideline of gravity instructing your body whether or not all the bits are in line.

i relate to the feeling of being sucker-punched by some factor you didn't think of. especially if your intention in doing it was to take care of yourself. as far as which type of help would be best, i think it depends on how things function in the medical system where you're living.

for non-really-serious stuff my own gp's first recommendation would be physio anyway. physio and something like 'and eat more broccoli, oh, and seeing you're here already, want a pap smear/tetanus shot/ hiv test?'

i hope it's nothing serious. knees are scary.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    PT
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    For knee injury - always straight to a PT for me.
    (That's ignoring any insurance requirements for a route to follow - I pay for my own treatment.)

Very poor experience with Doctors from my extensive collection of knee injuries. That includes General Practitioners, A&E, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons...
    Repeated wrong diagnosis, going to pain killers without diagnosis or resolution of the mechanical issues.
    Frankly idiotic enforced in-patient bed rest at one stage, massive muscle loss was really helpful - NOT!

I volunteered as a guinea pig for trainee doctors for a while, they had to perform an assessment, present their diagnosis and treatment plan to an audience of their tutors. Not one got it right, some picked the wrong knee FFS! Some of the suggested treatments would have harmed not helped.

On the other hand nothing but positive outcomes from PTs including rehab and sports PTs. Accurate diagnosis, sensible and personal treatment plans.
    A good PT knows when you need referral to a surgeon.

PS - absolutely wouldn't go to a Chiropractor for a knee injury.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Give you my perspective double hip replacement an arthritic knee that needs to be replaced.

What you need to see is an orthopedist. The orthopedist will be able to diagnose your condition he can do X-rays and other testing and find out what's going on . A physical therapist will prescribe the exercise and conditioning to strengthen and improve that knee. He won't be able to know what needs to be strengthened without a diagnosis

I'll give you my perspective with my knee. my ACL has totally deteriorated and it's non-existent. A physical therapist can diagnose that but he can prescribe a routine to strengthen the muscles around the knee.

Also when I had my hips replaced I asked my orthopedist about the Physical Therapy that'll be involved in rehab. His answer was the I'll send all the info to the physical therapist and they will work out your rehab program. My orthopedist is one of the best in the state and he teaches at one of the top hospitals in the state.