Cardio and weights

Options
So I've been actively working out 4-5 days a week. I started out just doing cardio and for the past 2-3 weeks I started weights. Do y'all see more progress just doing the cardio or a mixture of both? Should I lose the weight I want to then start lifting to tone up?

Replies

• alexistexas33
    alexistexas33 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this almost 3+ years now, I have initially lost 100 pounds doing JUST cardio and not lifting a single weight. (Of course - I gained some back tehe). On weights, I have gained 5lbs but my belly had flattened and my arms are less...saggy. Ideally if you can - you should be doing both every time you go to the gym. If you are lazy like me, cardio is the way to go for weight loss.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Lifting is excellent for helping you retain as much muscle as possible while you lose so you don't look "skinny fat" when you reach your goal weight. So definitely do it now.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I definitely wouldn't wait to get to goal then start lifting, that is going to make things so much harder for you. Start lifting now while you lose weight to retain muscle, it makes a huge difference for body composition.

I would say most people would recommend a combination of cardio and weights. I personally prioritize lifting so I do minimal cardio in the gym but still keep active day to day.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    All good advice. I note that you don't need much weightlifting to accomplish a lot. Two or three sessions a week of 20-30 minutes is very effective. You can skip legs if you are also doing a cardio exercise, so all you need to do is about 5 upper body exercises:

Most important (15 minutes):

-Bench press
    -Lat pull
    -Tricep press
    -Curls
    -Abs

Next tier (add 10-15 minutes):

-Seated row
    -Overhead ("military") press
    -Chest fly
    -Back fly

Next tier (add 10 minutes)

-Squat machine or rack
    -Leg extensions (I don't like them anymore, they hurt my knees)
    -Leg curls

All can be done on machines, and you can either do just one set (which is very effective), multiple sets (even better), or cycle through the lifts ("circuit training"). It's all good!

I got wordy here, but my point is that you can get what you need with just a few lifts.
  • Misskcm
    Misskcm Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Definitely do weights as you lose. You may drop pounds slightly slower, but your physique will improve quicker. If you don't lift weights and try to tone up you'll continue to "jiggle" and won't feel like you are making as much progress.
    I'd say do 2-3 days little to no cardio and focusing on weights a week and 2-3 days strictly cardio and abs.
    Keep in mind the only muscle group it is ok to workout everyday is your abdominals.

Definitely research how you should group muscles and the benefits to resting. The worst thing is when you start to see results and then overwork yourself or hurt yourself and have to stop for a couple weeks to heal.

Good luck!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    All good advice. I note that you don't need much weightlifting to accomplish a lot. Two or three sessions a week of 20-30 minutes is very effective. You can skip legs if you are also doing a cardio exercise, so all you need to do is about 5 upper body exercises:

-Bench press
    -Lat pull
    -Tricep press
    -Curls
    -Abs

-Seated row
    -Chest fly
    -Back fly

-Squat machine or rack
    -Leg curls

All can be done on machines, and you can either do just one set (which is very effective), multiple sets (even better), or cycle through the lifts ("circuit training"). It's all good!

I got wordy here, but my point is that you can get what you need with just a few lifts.

I disagree with the list completely other than bench press. Focus on compound lifts, and free weights are much better than machines, as you don't have to adapt to the machine, and you work all your stabilization muscles.

I would suggest following a structured full body 3 times per week program and do cardio on the off days (you can start doing 2 days/week if it fits better with your goals/recovery). check out starting strength, strong lifts 5x5 and strong curves. As a beginner you don't need to waste time on isolation exercises such as curls, leg extension, leg curl (deadlifts and squats get what you need), check flys, back flys, etc.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

-Bench press
    -Lat pull
    -Tricep press
    -Curls
    -Abs

-Seated row
    -Chest fly
    -Back fly

-Squat machine or rack
    -Leg curls

Fixed it for you

Also, Can swap the seated row(Read you ought to swap) with Deadlifts.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    samm_ohh wrote: »
    So I've been actively working out 4-5 days a week. I started out just doing cardio and for the past 2-3 weeks I started weights. Do y'all see more progress just doing the cardio or a mixture of both? Should I lose the weight I want to then start lifting to tone up?

You should incorporate weights no matter what your goal. Lifting will help you retain lean muscle. This "toning" you speak of is a combination of 2 things; burning fat and building muscle. Really, there is no such thing as "toning".
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

-Bench press
    -Lat pull
    -Tricep press
    -Curls
    -Abs

-Seated row
    -Chest fly
    -Back fly

-Squat machine or rack
    -Leg curls

This isn't very good advice at all.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Visible progress: weight lifting
    Cardio will improve your aerobic endurance (read: you won't be one of those people getting winded walking up the stairs) and allow you to eat more without going over your calories (but won't make much of a visible difference assuming you are keeping to your calories either way).
    My advice: do both. I definitely wouldn't wait on the weight training..you'll want to preserve the muscle you have now rather than losing it and having to earn it back. (as a beginner, I would say keep to the basic compound lifts - preferably in a form that requires stabilization from your core..you'll get more out of your time... the simplest plans have you do 1 leg (squats/deadlift/lunges), 1 push-type (overhead press/bench press), 1 pull-type (some type of rows/lat pulls/pull-ups/chin-ups) per session with 2-3 sessions per week.
  • Tapout112009
    Tapout112009 Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I would recommend lifting weights starting out then do couple weeks of low intensity cardio then 2 weeks high intensity. I would always do cardio after weights tho. You will power your glycogen levels way fast doing weight over just cardio. I lost alot of weight just lifting but now I do them both.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    Always a lot of advice for budding weightlifters! If you want really good individual advice, work with an individual trainer for some number of sessions. It's very helpful.

My point is that you can add some strength with a few simple lifts using the gym machines. It's relatively safe, too. (Whereas using free weights without training can lead to injury.)