Weight loss and Apple Cider Vinegar

Options
I'm starting to take apple cider vinegar again but wondered have any of you seen faster results when taking it specifically for weight loss? I am eating more healthy now and as well as exercising. I'm going to see if it helps actually with weight loss. What are your favorite benefits from taking ACV?

Replies

• Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You're going to be fooling yourself. You'll see a different, and it will be good, but it will be the exercise and proper calories in/out that does it, not ACV.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. If you want to see how much nope you can always use the search feature - there's literally hundreds of postings full of nope on doing anything for weight loss.

I've been making some lovely pickled red onions with it though - so good.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    You're going to be fooling yourself. You'll see a different, and it will be good, but it will be the exercise and proper calories in/out that does it, not ACV.

I know it's basically nutrition and exercise, I was just seeing if it truly helps weight loss as speed the metabolism. I am a firm believer it has many benefits though, as it helps soothe my joints and nerves.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    There is no proven benefit to taking ACV for weight loss.

Or most of the dozens of other claims, either.

It does make a nice salad dressing, and a wicked good pulled pork, though. :)

Do you have a good recipe for pulled pork? Lol.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options

I know it's basically nutrition and exercise, I was just seeing if it truly helps weight loss as speed the metabolism. I am a firm believer it has many benefits though, as it helps soothe my joints and nerves.
    It DOESN'T speed metabolism. No food or drink unless it's laced with a strong stimulant does. And even then, it's such a minute amount.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Haven't tried it before. The thought of drinking vinegar makes me shudder
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Weight loss is specifically calorie deficit.

You can achieve a calorie deficit by 2 methods.....eat less.....and move more. However, exercise doesn't burn nearly as many calories as most people think it does. There are also forms of exercise that make people hungry. So always watch calories in.

Nutrition and exercise both have great HEALTH benefits, but are not required for weight loss.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    There is no proven benefit to taking ACV for weight loss.

Or most of the dozens of other claims, either.

It does make a nice salad dressing, and a wicked good pulled pork, though. :)

Do you have a good recipe for pulled pork? Lol.

I like this one

https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/easy-slow-cooker-pulled-pork-30356
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    It can burn your throat.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The myths and rumors about apple cider vinegar as a magical cure for numerous things, including weight loss, go back hundreds of years yet there is no research that backs this up. There also is no scientific evidence that drinking apple cider vinegar with the mother in it is healthier. Drinking apple cider vinegar in limited amounts is unlikely to hurt you but too much of it can be bad for your teeth and your gullet. Save vinegars for culinary applications or, used with newsprint, to clean the inside of your windshield.
  • folgers86
    folgers86 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    IF it does, studies (maybe only one study, I read this on CNN a while ago) only indicate a minimal difference between those taking AVC and control groups. Like, 2lbs difference. And that difference went away as soon as they stopped taking AVC. AVC can also destroy your esophagus if you take too much of it (I guess some people tried to drink a couple of glasses straight up?). AVC is interesting in that it is a food substance that MAY mess with weight in a good way but it isn't practical for real life. Just something making researchers poke around.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    See photo: Organic, unpasteurized ACV, with fruit infusion, ginger, organic cane sugar. Add 1 oz. to 1 oz vodka, 4-8 oz. sparkling water, lemon wedge, ice.

Helps my weight loss by tasting delicious and making me happy, all for about 95 calories.

Seriously: I like ACV & drink it plain daily, even without flavorings or vodka. During weight loss, I drank it daily (plain) for a few weeks, and didn't drink it at all for several weeks. Zero difference in weight loss rate (which wasn't why I drank it in the first place, BTW).
  • bkbirge
    bkbirge Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Works great for making it easier to peel boiled eggs. Just put a tablespoon in the boil. And amen to pulled pork.