Weight loss, prednisone, Immune disease

Options
jloren4322
jloren4322 Posts: 1 Member
Steroids are prescribed for many auto-immune disorders. I've been on steroids for years. Currently, I get about 60 grams IV, and take 5mg daily, many days of the month.
It's hard to lose weight on a medicine that overrides the adrenal glands. It makes you puffy, hungry, does weird things to salt intake levels, water retention, blood pressure, moods, and yet, really helps reduce immune response for IBS, Crohn's disease and Lupus SLE, and yet, it can be done. I've lost almost 20 pounds in 3 months and have lowered my resting pulse by 20 points, blood pressure from hypertensive to 91/74.

I am finding that doctors and friends don't understand how hard it is to lose weight when medicine works to retain and gain weight. Anyone else out there have an auto-immune disease and trying to improve health?

Replies

• selinagerman
    selinagerman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and since starting steroids have gained 25lb topping me out at 200lbs. That is why I am here. Hoping to see that weight loss is pissible, even with these treatments. I feel so much better then pre diagnosis, but now my self esteem is taking a hit.