Help me improve this snack I really like

Options
neillc57
neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
I feel this is a bit of a perversion of mine. It costs an arm and a leg per gram as well.
I buy that kikkoman Chinese egg flower soup powder (hot and sour version) in a red packet. I have never made the soup like you are supposed to. Costs a load of money for not much so I purchased in bulk.
I put 10g in the bottom of a mug and a very small small squirt of sriracha hot sauce. I used to do hot chili oil but the sauce is just as good.
Poor on boiling water and sip.
This stuff as far as I am concerned is the greatest thing on earth. I love the taste. If you drink two cups of this stuff you will put on 2+ pounds of water over night because of the massive sodium load. 33 cals though.
So is there some recipe like this that wouldn't have the massive sodium hit? I have thought about adding more green onions because I like them floating in it and they taste great. Really though it's the sodium I need to get rid of.

Replies

• dm5859
    dm5859 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Would boiling a potato in it remove some salt? You could discard the potato or use it some other way.
  • leail
    leail Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you looked up copycat recipes to make it homemade yourself? I love miso soup but the sodium was insane so I started making it from scratch.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Double the water, ad some veggies (carrot, onions, kale) and spices (optional) and (important part!) eat only half of what you have now.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Salt and MSG is addicting. There are low sodium recipes out there that you may try but you may not feel it tastes as good because it lacks the salt and MSG.

You maybe able to still get the flavor but lower the sodium by using less of the packet but increase the volume with more water and lemon juice. The lemon juice will help keep some flavor but are lowering the sodium. I would train my tastes buds this way. Start out with 3/4 packet, lower it to 1/2 packet for example.

You can also try and find a recipe to replace it. I saw the ingredient list and it uses mushroom extract . This provides a umami flavor. So does MSG. You can find mushroom powder without the MSG in Asian food stores. It's called mushroom powder Or vegetable seasoning.

Season low sodium chicken broth with it and add lemon juice, sesame oil, seasoning and some eggs.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    Salt and MSG is addicting. There are low sodium recipes out there that you may try but you may not feel it tastes as good because it lacks the salt and MSG.

Do you have a source for this? I'm really interested to learn more.

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I just tried making hot and sour soup from scratch myself. It appears the key ingredients are broth, mushrooms, vinegar, sugar, soy sauce (I used light), chilies or hot sauce, white pepper. I tried Ming Tsai's recipe it was really good. I did not make the fritters. I added half a package of tofu sliced.
    foodnetwork.com/recipes/traditional-szechuan-style-hot-and-sour-soup-with-tofu-fritter-recipe-1950217

This one is not the same but much healthier and very easy. If you make it yourself you can used low sodium versions of broth and soy sauce. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/03/hot-and-sour-vegetable-soup.html
  • neillc57
    neillc57 Posts: 86 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys. I have arrived at the 10g via a processes of slow reducing a gram at a time. I used to do half of the packet. Often worked out at 12g followed by something like 16g. The effective dilution by shifting down to 10g gave me a better experience as what I got was always the same. I haven't tried 9g but I will to see. I have noticed a shift in my tastes as I lost weight. I love mushrooms (cooked, no oil just say microwaved) but used to need to put something on them so they were not so plain. Now I am happy to eat them plain as I started to notice the taste (I think I like the texture most).