My Trainer Made Me Do It

Options
jbwegner
jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
Some of you may know that I recently started working out with a trainer. She is amazing, and I am so loving it. I wanted to post what she made me do today. Fot those of you who are beginners like me, it may give you some ideas.

There were five stations:

1. Straddle steps using a step (like from a step aerobics class)
You start with one foot on each side of the step. Up with the right, up with the left, down with the right, down with the left. (1 rep) Do that 10 times, then switch to leading with the left foot 10 more times.
2. Kettle bell (squating and then raising the kettle bell (or dumbell)-10 times
3. Shoulder press-10 times
4. Reverse crunches-10 times
5. Bicep curls-10 times (on the last rep, hold it half-way down for 10 seconds)

Then REPEAT the entire circuit 9 reps at each station. You keep repeating and decreasing the number of reps until you get to one!

I seriously cannot believe I did the whole thing, At first I thought she was crazy, but I felt so good! It's so adaptable too! You can change the amount of weight or height of the step to make it fit your needs. Who would every think that I would enjoy fitness??!!

Replies

• elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    thanks! congrats on surviving your session and passing it on!:drinker:
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Great Job! Working out w/ a trainer is great, isn't it? They really push you and make you do things you're capable of but might not do otherwise. Mine has helped me realize just how capable I am!
  • sagithia
    sagithia Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks, what is a shoulder press and reverse crunches. I will start today!
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am trying to think what might be around my house that I could substitute for the kettle bell. Are the raises and curls with weights?
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Did she give you advice on how many times a week to do this exercise program? My boys are in football and their coach makes them rest for 48 hrs.
  • jbwegner
    Options
    Thanks, what is a shoulder press and reverse crunches. I will start today!

OK, I hope I can explain this...I had a weighted bar (15 lb)
    I started by gripping it with both hands at shoulder height
    I then raised it above my head.

For the reverse crunch, I sat on a weight bench (you can do it on a chair or the floor) and leaned back...probably a 45 degree angle. Brace yourself with your hands. Then bring your knees up to your chest. I have a big belly, so they didn't quite make it that far, but they will one day! :smile:
  • jbwegner
    Options
    I am trying to think what might be around my house that I could substitute for the kettle bell. Are the raises and curls with weights?

You could just use handweights, soda cans, soup cans, water bottles filled with sand, exercise bands.

You can get exercise bands and handweights at Target or Wal-Mart really cheap. (Less than $12!)

Yes, I used a weighted bar for the raises, and bands for the curls, but she said you can do them with handweights, or any of the above listed items. Have fun!
  • jbwegner
    Options
    Did she give you advice on how many times a week to do this exercise program? My boys are in football and their coach makes them rest for 48 hrs.

She said to wait at least 24 hours before working the same muscle group. Bill Phillips (Body For Life creator) says that kids still growing need more rest between strength training. Maybe that's why your sons' coach has them wait longer?