Food strategies

zenalasca
zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
What are your strategies for eating specific foods?

Chips - I usually stop at 1, even reaching into one of the bags in mum's cupboard just to take 1
Hamburger - I always share mine with someone else or throw half away
Soft drinks - always have the zero calorie or diet versions
Chocolate - let it melt in my mouth to prolong the taste
Cheese - grated cheese distributes the flavour more evenly
Mac 'n' cheese - although not "natural," Easy Mac etc. are wayyy better than traditional mac 'n' cheese
Cakes etc. - only ever buy single portions!!

Replies

• MySweetPotato
    MySweetPotato Posts: 175 Member
    cut off most foods a long time ago. No more full fat cheeses, lasagna, pizza, burgers. But! for sweets, I TRY to stop at 2-3 bites. I have dark chocolate almost every evening tho. And today is my sister's bday. I can see the cake coming.
  • debaloo
    debaloo Posts: 129 Member
    cut off most foods a long time ago. No more full fat cheeses, lasagna, pizza, burgers. But! for sweets, I TRY to stop at 2-3 bites. I have dark chocolate almost every evening tho. And today is my sister's bday. I can see the cake coming.

Pretty much exactly what she said! I don't eat that stuff. I have one "free day" where I have 1,000 extra calories for the day. If I am super tempted I will have one bite.
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    I try and have a large salad as a meal once a day. It [mentally] makes me feel better and it gets me most of my vegetables for the day. Since they average about 250-350 calories I get more calories for other meals/snacks during the day. It's always filling for me.

Pre-portioning snacks. I don't graze. If I want say, cookies, I make a half or full serving size and put it on a plate. When it's done, it's done.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    I eat low carb so most of your examples I limit to special occasions only and then I don't place any restrictions at all because, well, it's a special occasion. I'll modify a few things to make them low carb (like not eating the bun on a hamburger) but for most things if they don't taste as good as the original version I'd rather just wait until the holidays to have the real thing.

Chips - Special occasions.

Hamburger - Whenever I want: homemade w/ lettuce, tomato and mayonnaise, no bun. Occasionally I'll have a bar burger with french fries and of course I'll eat the bun.

Soft Drinks - Special occasions.

Chocolate - Special occasions.

Cheese - Full fat only, a few ounces a day.

Mac 'n Cheese - From a box, never. Homemade baked macaroni and cheese on special occasions. I've been making it for our holiday dinners this last year because it's one of the few foods I actually miss since going low carb.

Cakes - Special occasions.
  • zenalasca
    zenalasca Posts: 563 Member
    I try and have a large salad as a meal once a day. It [mentally] makes me feel better and it gets me most of my vegetables for the day. Since they average about 250-350 calories I get more calories for other meals/snacks during the day. It's always filling for me.

Pre-portioning snacks. I don't graze. If I want say, cookies, I make a half or full serving size and put it on a plate. When it's done, it's done.

Yeah, I agree. I was craving cream shortbread biscuits this evening and had 5 of them instead of dinner.