How Do I Feel Motivated to Get Outside More?

Options

Replies

• brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me.

Yeah ... really boring ...

35097889554_3617cb04f1_o.jpg

So much of this. I hate exercising #noshame #mentallyfat but nature makes it all worth it. I wouldn't jog on a treadmill if you put a gun to my head but I'd happily struggle-hike mountains.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    yeah....Very few truely enjoy stuff like long walks around a city. Especially from this side of it, Trick is to get out force self to do it and get addicted to the feeling of how damn good it feels from the other side of it. Every little step helps. I got addicted to the delicious calories of long walks and have found a few spots i like to walk in. I always had to set mini errands, Like a walk to the far grocery store for a carton of cherry tomatoes, Or a dollar store for nail polish when i started. Felt stupid and unmotivating to go out without a plan. Now i have a fitbit and my plan is just go for more steps, Gets addicting beating yesterday distance :p
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you just aren't an outdoors person. To me, the outdoors is where all the fun stuff is, but I don't think you can motivate yourself to see it that way.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I don't think you really get motivated, you just decide and then go do it. I think "motivation" is often excuse in disguise.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Get a dog! Okay, only if you have time and money and a home for the dog. But for my household this worked (note we didnt get the dog to force us to go outside it just worked out that way) yesterday was a perfect example, I was exhausted after a long day at work, I just wanted to lay on the couch, we have a dog who was bred for herding so she needs alot of exercise, she just laid by the door staring at us, to make a long story short I was guilted into it and 5 miles later we were home after a long walk (in the rain!) and everyone was happy and exercised. For me it makes it more enjoyable to go outside, especially hiking on the weekends its always fun and I know im doing something good for her, and for me.
    zhu7ca4lxcka.jpg
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Find a community pool to join or walk on a hiking trail. They usually are cooler
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me. I only like swimming by myself, walking in an environment that doesn't look like it's been tainted by humanity's industries, houses, etc., and I only like walking by myself in nature. But, there are cruel people out there. So, I feel cynical...

Go exploring and find this, you won't thinking about all the negatives you possibly can. If you truly have agoraphobia, then you need to seek help for this...outside is way better than in, you can make the outside stuff your meditation on the positive then. Change, go forward, step out, motivation is the key to motivation...
  • adverbian
    adverbian Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Do you live in an area where you can walk or bike to something? Work, school, the grocery store, the public library, even a coffee shop? I realize not all areas are built with proper sidewalks (I have a whole different rant on that subject), but if yours happens to be, then having a destination might help.

It sure helps me. I'm lucky enough to be able to walk 30 minutes to work, and that has made walking a habit because it is built into my day. I have to get to work somehow, after all. Even if I'm not feeling inspired or excited about taking a walk that day, I can just focus on the goal of getting to and from work.
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    oliverwendellholmessr108718.jpg
    ;)t62656gy2gd23.jpg
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me. I only like swimming by myself, walking in an environment that doesn't look like it's been tainted by humanity's industries, houses, etc., and I only like walking by myself in nature. But, there are cruel people out there. So, I feel cynical...

Do you have safety concerns? I don't feel unsafe when I walk in the woods alone, but I do carry a phone and pepper spray.

In my state we can get "animal defense spray" without a permit. Amazon won't ship it to me anymore (I replace it periodically), but the local gun store sold it to me.
  • Sashslay
    Sashslay Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Get a podcast or audio book! Or even an album you want to go through. Stick it on and give yourself a goal I.e this walk I'll get through 3 chapters etc. walk until you reach your goal and then walk back home :) that's what I do!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Personally getting going is hard for me but once I'm there I love it. I drive to a city park and walk there. The calories I get for getting some exercise tend to motivate me. I may not eat them all but knowing they're there makes all the difference. I have lost 86 pounds and my moods have really improved from the exercise. There's something about living in a city of over a million people and seeing a doe and her two fawns in a local park that makes you want to do it. I lived here for 30 years and had no idea that was right outside my door. Set reasonable goals for yourself. Make it achievable.
  • thisisbeej
    thisisbeej Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time feeling motivated to go outside. Any tips on how to make being outside fun?
    I love nature and it all it's scenic beauties -- thats enough to get me outside. However, Im an introverted guy and before I started my weight-loss journey I was the same way. Just didn't feel motivated. For me, part of the motivation came from the weight-loss itself. As I started losing more weight I found myself invigorated with more energy and in turn, drive.

Things I never felt like doing I suddenly wanted to do. My favorite thing in the world to do is swim. If you like swimming, find water and swim! That will get you outside and swimming is great cardio at that!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I'm in South Carolina. This is our stay-inside season. To get a good walk in, go to a big-box store like Walmart or Home Depot and do a circuit or two of all the aisles. It's not outside but it's at least not in your own house.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,177 Member
    Options
    mij140 wrote: »

You are over thinking this. Don't hang about waiting for motivation or thinking dark thoughts about the human condition. Just get out. Once you have built up a habit you may enjoy it more, and even if not, it's good for you.

Overthinking how?

Thinking about how you prefer to walk in only pristine environments, thinking about how cruel people are, thinking about how humanity is ruining things, thinking about how boring nature is - even thinking about how unmotivated you are. All of this is unnecessary and will further discourage you.

If you sit around waiting for conditions to be perfect or waiting to feel 'motivated', you'll never do it. If going outside is something you want to include in your exercise, there are three steps:

1. Put your shoes on
    2. Open the door
    3. Go out

We all feel unmotivated sometimes to do what we ultimately want to do. The secret is not to sit and try to conjure motivation. The secret is to make yourself do it. If you do, you might just find yourself enjoying it.

Great advice and well-written.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Nature looks somewhat boring to me.

Yeah ... really boring ...

35097889554_3617cb04f1_o.jpg

Beautiful pic!

Thanks ... it is a hike we did near Jasper, Alberta. We took a sky tram to the upper terminal (little building sitting on the edge of the cliff) and then hiked to the top of the mountain. Breathtaking ... just stunning!! Well worth the effort! :)
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    OP, I am having a similar issue. I found out last year when I did Couch to 5K that I really enjoyed exercising outside. But last fall, I had a lot of vacation days so between those days and the weekends, I could get out in the early afternoon when it was actually NICE out.

Right now, the heat index is about 100 degrees, humidity is awful, I don't have any vacation days. My neighborhood doesn't have a *safe* walking area so I have to go to another neighborhood. This forces me to cross the road during rush hour. It all got so stressful, with the traffic and heat, that I totally lost my motivation for it. Trying to get it back...
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Sashslay wrote: »
    Get a podcast or audio book! Or even an album you want to go through. Stick it on and give yourself a goal I.e this walk I'll get through 3 chapters etc. walk until you reach your goal and then walk back home :) that's what I do!

Great suggestion!

I have FM radio on one of my MP3 players and listening to the news on NPR is usually good for getting my heart rate up.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that it's the idea of encountering cruel people that's preventing you from getting out there. You deserve to be out there enjoying nature and the sunshine as much as anyone else.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options

Get some mace from your local gun shop...they even have super cool mace that will turn the object of it purple and has something in it that shows up under a UV light for up to 48 hours, even if you shower. Take your mace and yourself for a walk in the woods or a local park. In over 12 years of hiking and traveling alone, I've only had one instance of encountering a "cruel person" in nature and my agility and ability to run faster than him made me the winner of that one.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This does not compute...

Heading up to San Pedro Parks for a bit of camping and hiking this weekend with the fam...

san-pedro-parks-wilderness.jpg

Climbing is something we have come to enjoy quite a bit as well...we're taking our first trip outside of the climbing gym in a few weeks and I can't be more excited...

1090826527-indoor-rock-climbing-classes.jpg

GOPR2380.jpg

The Paseo Del Bosque trail is one of my favorite places to ride and it's just down the street from my house...

discovery_3029156_l.jpgPlacitas has some excellent mountain biking trails...IMG_1133.JPG

The La Luz trail is one of our favorite hikes...hike up, tram down...get beer...

image.jpg

2947b102256c5e87a16110fc312fdccf--news-mexico.jpg

Boring is sitting around at home doing nothing...