Maintenance Calories

How many calories would you add in to maintain a goal weight of 130?This is my first attempt at really trying to maintain a weight loss.I am 5'3",medium frame and 62 yo female if that makes a difference.I have been trying to eat 1200 calories a day to lose.

Replies

• swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    How many calories would you add in to maintain a goal weight of 130?This is my first attempt at really trying to maintain a weight loss.I am 5'3",medium frame and 62 yo female if that makes a difference.I have been trying to eat 1200 calories a day to lose.

Sounds like you are my weight loss twin!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,116 Member
    It will depend on how active you are. I am 5'3.5", 49 years old and maintain ~122 on 2000-2300 calories per day. But I am pretty active. If you change your goal to maintain then mfp will give you a calorie goal to maintain. That will be a good place to start. But the best way really is the way @sijomial suggested using your own data to figure it out.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    This calculator will calculate that for you if you set your goal to maintain...
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,868 Member
    I'm 62 and 5'2". I'm at 1200 calories to lose slowly. I eat half my exercise calories back. Last time I was at goal weight of 125 mfp gave me 1340 calories for maintenance. That seemed about right for me and I gained when I went to 1400. You'll have to play with it.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    I'm 41, 5'7" with a maintenance range of 128-133. I lost at 1350 (plus I ate back 1/2-2/3 of my exercise calories); maintenance for me turned out to be around 1750 on average, though it's more on days when I get more exercise in.
    I agree with pp's about using MFP to give you an estimate, try it for a bit and see.

You can also "reverse diet" up to maintenance, which is what I did. You can add about 100 calories to your daily goal each week and keep gradually increasing until your weight holds steady for several weeks.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    First of all congratulations on your success. As other posters have said just plug your stats into mfp to figure out what your maintenance level is based on activity level.

Maintenance is a learning process it's something you're going to have to figure out over time because what you have to remember is the mfp values are based on a large population density and they may not apply to you. To give you my experience I decided to start maintenance at 220 lb. I'm a 6ft 4 male and I'm 57 years old. I totally screwed maintenance up and my way drop to as low as 204. Currently I'm at the 208 - 210 range and it's something I'm very comfortable with