Replies

• HermanLily
    HermanLily Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Mold in your body? No, no, no
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    No, that won't fix it. Throw it away. Molded food is no longer food.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Idk if it's poison, but it's gross as hell. Don't do it.
  • katnadreau
    katnadreau Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My MIL just gave herself massive food poisoning eating expired yogurt. Toss it!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Did you eat it OP? Are you still alive?? :worried:
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I was eating yogurt when I opened this thread. :(
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    But....homemade penicillin!

(Yeah, throw it out if you haven't already.)
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Toss it!!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of a time I was looking forward to eating a pudding dessert cup.

Dessert cup had a tiny puncture hole in the lid and must have had so for a while.

Dessert had a lovely thick patch of mould growing under the lid.

Needless to say, dessert cup went in the trash after I got a whiff of mould. :no_mouth:
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I just made a whole 3 cups worth of overnight oats, only to find out the yogurt I used was moldy and expired last month. I really dont want to waste food and that was my breakfast for a couple days. If I microwave it will it be safe to eat? I know, I've googled it but there's not really any clear answers. Your input?

I wouldn't risk it, but then I don't make breakfast for three days at a time either.

Moldy is a bit worse than simply expired. Its the reason why some types of products have expiry dates of days or weeks from manufacture, while others are marked with 2 years or more from the date they were made.
  • kaygeebozzz
    kaygeebozzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    livechelon wrote: »
    Microwaving it will kill some of the microbes but won't do anything to get rid of the toxic (to you) materials they made so you'll almost definitely get sick

This.

Mold sends out filaments or "roots" into foods it contaminates, particularly high-moisture food (like yogurt, soy or no), so just scraping it off or microwaving it won't make the food less toxic.

For a list of stuff that is ok to just cut/scrape mold off and eat the remainder of, have this link:

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/molds-on-food-are-they-dangerous_/ct_index

Good rule of thumb, low moisture, you're good (bread, hard cheese, etc.), everything else, throw all of it out.