Letting people know what you are doing.

Options
Whenever I have tried to lose weight before I've done it on my own, no one at all knew about it.

I've joined a gym and I'm going to start going directly from work, this means that everyone will know what I'm doing as I'll be rocking up to work with my (limited) gear.

I'm expecting a few shocked comments when people catch on because I've always been "big lee, likes a drink, eats what he wants, does no exercise"
However I'm pretty sure that when everyone knows it'll be more incentive for me to succeed, in the past when I've given up I haven't let anyone down but myself and haven't had to explain myself to anyone else.

Going to the gym is also a big thing for me, I'm 32 now and haven't been to a gym since I was 17, today will be my 4th visit last Tuesday, it's pretty amazing how quickly you get over your self consciousness in there.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I would use MFP to tell people about your journey... cos people IRL dont care.

There are hundreds of threads on here about no or negative comments people get about their weight loss journies when they tell their friends on social media...

Good luck!
  • leebirm
    leebirm Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It was more about not having the choice but to let people know, it'll be pretty obvious and my office is full of...well...nosy *kitten* lol.

I'm not too bothered though I've got over the self confidence issues, I'm doing it for me and not for them, they may be fitter and healthier than me but at least I'm trying to do something about it now.
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Positive or negative reaction, it should encourage you, but it should also be irrelevant. Go through this thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10087100/what-nobody-tells-you-about-losing-weight#latest

People talk about backslack. You've always been the go to person to have a drink with, to share a great(high cal) meal with, and suddenly you are not that person anymore.

Just be ready for whatever reaction you get and don't let it affect your going to the gym
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    As far as co-workers knowing about you going to the gym whether you want them to or not: be vague; keep it simple.

If anyone comments, simply state that you started going to the gym. Period. That's it. They may probe, make comments, ask questions, etc. but you have 100% control over how much you tell them.

Either way, good for you and keep at it!
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,476 Member
    Options
    Trying to lose some weight. Trying to get in shape. Trying to cut down.

Like the movie Bull Durham, practice your cliches. The less said the better. Try not to discuss your program in detail. Don't discuss your goals.

People will offer advice, criticize and say goofy things. Pay them no mind. Weight loss and fitness is a solitary pursuit. You might find a compatible fellow traveler. Don't count on it.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Even though they might catch on to what you're doing does not mean you need to talk about it to them in great detail. You can acknowledge their inquiries, but you don't have to divulge them on details if you chose not to

At work, I barely talk about anything weight loss or diet related because it's becoming such a taboo subject with misinformation. However, I do have an Instagram that is completely my running and fitness journey. Coworkers know about it and friends know about it; many of which follow it. Because of this, I do get asked questions because people ask about my success. It doesn't bother me too much if they follow my advice or not because it's their issues to figure out.

So I guess moral of the story is, take what anyone says or does in relation to your business with a grain of salt. Because you will probably get questions or comments. Don't read too much into anything said.
  • work_on_it
    work_on_it Posts: 251 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    leebirm wrote: »
    I'm doing it for me and not for them

^--- this is why it will work... this is how you'll keep going when they laugh... this is how you will keep going when they think you've lost enough... this is how it's done.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Definitely tell us. We're rooting for you !!!
  • bruby28
    bruby28 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    Just tell people on here about your journey . Who cares about others . Sometimes if you tell Co workers your goals and whatnot ,then you feel pressured to show then you can do it . Set goals for yourself and keep them to yourself , it makes it easier to stay on track .