Gym

Hey all so I'm taking a big leap for myself and starting the gym today got my shorts all ready lol ☺️
Just want to know can anyone recommend something sensible for me to eat before I go? Don't want to feel bloated or sickly during my workout thanks in advance, look forward to your comments :D

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I prefer to eat nothing close to training .. I usually train later in the day so try and eat at least 2-3 hours (preferably 4) beforehand. If I train early I go with nothing...

Try different things and find what works for you - it will likely depend on the type of workout you're doing too
  • sczoo26
    sczoo26 Posts: 102 Member
    I'm gonna do mainly cardio running machine, cross trainer, bikes, rowers ☺️
  • BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    I also like to train on an empty stomach and do fasted morning cardio, although it's debatable whether it works any better.
  • sczoo26
    I may just take an energy drink then and do it that way?
  • BekShark
    BekShark Posts: 55 Member
    Why not? I just have a black coffee and pint of water and do some cardio first thing. Breakfast afterwards feels like a reward!
  • sczoo26
    BekShark wrote: »
    Why not? I just have a black coffee and pint of water and do some cardio first thing. Breakfast afterwards feels like a reward!

Thank you ☺️ that's what I'm going to do stay light then enjoy my breakfast later
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Banana and water. Works for me.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    If it's a morning workout, I do it fasted or I feel icky. I'd rather feel hungry than like I was about to vom! :s

For lunchtime or after work sessions, a decent breakfast/lunch and a snack about 90 mins before (protein bar, yogurt, banana, whatever) gets me through, then a good meal afterwards. It's definitely a reward, and feels WAY better than worrying about eating beforehand. Yay for post workout carbs!
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    I also prefer training fasted but I take a banana and a energy drink to have on the walk home after
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    sczoo26 wrote: »
    I'm gonna do mainly cardio running machine, cross trainer, bikes, rowers ☺️
    I may just take an energy drink then and do it that way?

IF you're just doing cardio, it's probably best to skip the caffeine.
  • sczoo26
    OK so I been and done the gym woohoooooooooooooooo!
    Just got home, I had a low sugar energy drink whilst driving to the gym, and then burned 471 cals for cardio now I'm tucking into a banana it's never tasted so good!
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Just got home, I had a low sugar energy drink whilst driving to the gym, and then burned 471 cals for cardio now I'm tucking into a banana it's never tasted so good!

What did you do for 471?

What are your stats?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    I'd add some resistance training too... But, I like muscles.
  • sczoo26

What did you do for 471?

What are your stats?

I did 30 mins on the treadmill
    20 mins on cross trainer
    And 10 on bike
    Then I was dead lol!
  • sczoo26
    I'd add some resistance training too... But, I like muscles.

I will add some weights in there, in time☺️
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    I usually have a small protein shake before a workout, not enough to feel full though.