Water weight

Options
I seem to carry about 5 pounds of water weight that comes and goes every few days. How do I keep it off?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    50% or more of your body is water. Five pounds of variance is completely normal, especially if you already know it is coming and going every few days.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    All of us vary in our weight day-by-day. Weight loss is not linear and much of the variation is due to water weight. Keeping your sodium consumption at an even level helps but hormones, weather, physical activities, etc. affect how much water we hold. For younger women, the monthly cycle has a strong effect.

So, the answer is, you really can't keep it off. It will come and go.
  • chrissymoore06
    chrissymoore06 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I will try not to focus so much on the scale numbers and just on how my clothes fit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I seem to carry about 5 pounds of water weight that comes and goes every few days. How do I keep it off?

50-65% of your body is water...it will always fluctuate. Also, you will always have fluctuations in the amount of inherent waste in your system. This is why one should focus on other things, not just the scale. You'll have to get your head wrapped around that or else maintenance is going to be a real *kitten*...body weight isn't static.